cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth upgrading or move ISP completely?

N/A

I'm a new plus+ customer and i'm far from satisfied with the p2p speeds. I'm contemplating moving to Demon (£19.99 p/month),but from what I can see they don't support migrating. So that means my line will need to be cancelled and activated again? (but according to Demon, setup is free...so that should be too much of a problem).

I've read mixed feedback on the premier service ya see. People have been saying they upgraded to get better torrent speeds, but they still only get around 20k/sec! If it was my Visa i'd upgrade without thinking twice, but I need to persuade my old man, which took long enough just so he could let me move from Pipex!

I'm just stuck as to whether I should hold out this Plus account for a month, cancel and then sign up with Demon, or upgrade? In a way I want to move from Plusnet solely because of how they've wrongly advertised the Plus service. The main problem is my dad refuses to pay any more than £20 a month!
6 REPLIES
N/A

The Plus+ service is advertised as a low to medium option for peopl who want a fast connection for e-mail and web browsing but not P2P and Torrents. Thats why its only £14.99

The Premiere account is advertised for medium to high downloaders which is meant to be the P2P and Torrent option with 2mb almost all the time. However recently they have introduced packet shaping and when doing this have assigned the wrong packet shaping profiles to people which is why some people are getting 20-50kbs on their Premiere account. To fix this all you need to do is ring PlusNet or raise a ticket with them.

I would suggest upgrading if you want to download P2P and Torrents as migrating takes ages and usualy costs something.

Hope I helped.
N/A

mate get out now move to a better isp...crapnet are just a budget isp now and u get what pay for if u know what i mean
N/A

The Plus+ service is advertised as a low to medium option for peopl who want a fast connection for e-mail and web browsing but not P2P and Torrents. Thats why its only £14.99

The Premiere account is advertised for medium to high downloaders which is meant to be the P2P and Torrent option with 2mb almost all the time. However recently they have introduced packet shaping and when doing this have assigned the wrong packet shaping profiles to people which is why some people are getting 20-50kbs on their Premiere account. To fix this all you need to do is ring PlusNet or raise a ticket with them.

I would suggest upgrading if you want to download P2P and Torrents as migrating takes ages and usualy costs something.

Hope I helped.

The plus service is also advertised as 'Priority given to basic use such as surfing and email at busy times ...which in lamens terms should mean plus customers only get fast p2p speeds (2mbit (what they paid for)) during the early hours (2am-7am). But instead Plus customers get slow p2p speeds 24/7! If 4am is classed as a busy time then Britain must have alot of insomniacs!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Well from the traffic graphs on Broadband Plus the level of P2P overnight never drops below that during the day. Chances are people are queuing up P2P downloads before they go to bed.
mr_chris
Grafter

The point is Dave that nowhere, not even in the T&Cs or AUP, does it say specifically that P2P will be heavily throttled at all times of the day.

It only says that it isn't "designed for" sustained high-bandwidth usage.. and that it is "not recommended". This is what needs updating, along with the website, to prevent users like this from having a tarnished view of Plusnet's service and advertising ethics.
N/A

BB Plus - USENET is also very slow 24x7

Well from the traffic graphs on Broadband Plus the level of P2P overnight never drops below that during the day. Chances are people are queuing up P2P downloads before they go to bed.

Are the traffic graphs for BB Plus available for us customers to view ? I'm most interested in USENET (as I don't use any peer-to-peer s/w) as there's nothing like the full speed of the connection ever being possible to use, as far as I can tell.

Surely the browsing and mail traffic goes down a lot overnight, and there's been mentioned that the growth in accounts is in BB Plus, so surely even with your internal 50:1 worst case there's spare capacity for night time use of these things!

I've seen a 'jump' to about 30 kB/s at about 01:00 so I know there is a change taking place... just not very much of a change - I'd hope that from 01:00 to 05:00 or maybe later, someone could download at the full speed of their connection, not at 12.5% Sad Heck, even at 50% I'd be happier!

BB Plus really works fine for browsing and to watch the odd movie but it's crazy to think there's no time when the news service can be seen to work 'fast' (let alone the chance there'll be a block on USENET binaries, or all binary news servers, as suggested in the post about USENET in p.s.customer- feedback newsgroup a while ago).

Of course, I can watch streaming webcams and movies from CinemaNow.com (which aren't throttled at all) and use the full 2000 kbps all night, until I get a 'your use is excessive' complaint...