cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried (bandwidth caps)

N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Hi,

Im a new customer, well actually we were on PlusNet 1mbit last year. This coming academic year, our flat of 3 have signed up to PlusNet again with the new 2mbit service.
It took around 2 weeks to get it activated and now im hearing theres a new 30gig cap per month being imposed? Could someone confirm this as being official please?
If so, I am quite worried because as a flat of 3 University students, I'm guessing we may stray over that limit a month. I am pretty sure we did last time we were with PlusNet. If this is true I would be really dissapointed with PlusNet, because before we signed up this time I "specifically" asked them if there would be any bandwidth caps and they glady said "no". A simple "maybe in the coming weeks" (or something similar) would have sufficed.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Its 100GB cap per month but you must make sure that you dont download 30Gb during peak hours.
Metalguru
Grafter

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Hi and welcome, though it seems you have joined us during interesting times.

For a definative answer to you question you'll have to let us know wat package you are on.

Have a look through some of the recent threads to get the answers you seek.
(especially the "Clarity" one)

The threads, although complicated, are a little easier to understand that the new T&C's.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Worried (bandwidth caps)

N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Ok, im moving to the 2mb Premier soon as we are on the standard 2mb at the moment and want to download at better speeds.

So, is peer to peer and Usenet traffic always going to have traffic shaping on permanently?
Also, please could you explain the "24/7 management"? Does this mean it will be employed if we hit the 150gb mark?
Additionally, in the My Usage section, is there a way to define between how much gigs you have used in Peak time and Overall?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Usenet isn't traffic shaped. There are two things to consider, traffic shaping and prioritisation.

We proritise traffic across all of our network in three different queues:

* GOLD - HTTP/VoIP and other latency sensitive traffic
*BRONZE - Usenet and Peer-2-Peer
*SILVER - Everything else

If our central pipes reach capacity, then bronze traffic will be dropped first, then silver. Since we have introduced this (several months ago) we have not dropped any gold or silver traffic, and no more than 10% of the bronze traffic.

As well as this there is the slight shaping of p2p traffic, which should not slow downloads considerably but ensures that the latency sensitive stuff like games and VoIP work even at the busiest times.
N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

So, is peer to peer and Usenet traffic always going to have traffic shaping on permanently?

Dont try to access USENET with a web browser during peak hours, you will be very disappointed!
N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Its 100GB cap per month but you must make sure that you dont download 30Gb during peak hours.

So for those that have to have the PC turned off overnight and are at work from 9-5.... It's a 30Gb cap then?
N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

So for those that have to have the PC turned off overnight and are at work from 9-5.... It's a 30Gb cap then?

Look's that way, yes :?
N/A

Worried (bandwidth caps)

As well as this there is the slight shaping of p2p traffic, which should not slow downloads considerably but ensures that the latency sensitive stuff like games and VoIP work even at the busiest times.

Is this additional shaping used 24/7 then?
channel
Grafter

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Usenet isn't traffic shaped. There are two things to consider, traffic shaping and prioritisation.

We proritise traffic across all of our network in three different queues:

* GOLD - HTTP/VoIP and other latency sensitive traffic
*BRONZE - Usenet and Peer-2-Peer
*SILVER - Everything else

If our central pipes reach capacity, then bronze traffic will be dropped first, then silver. Since we have introduced this (several months ago) we have not dropped any gold or silver traffic, and no more than 10% of the bronze traffic.

I am getting genuinely confused here.

Usenet isn't traffic shaped, but it is prioritised? What is the distinction you are drawing? Surely if traffic is "lower priority" (ie: "Bronze") the traffic is being shaped? :?
mike001
Grafter

Worried (bandwidth caps)

Yep
so the users with there PC in the bed room that cant sleep with noise can only download at peek......what a nice thing to do Cry