cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried and Confused!!!

N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

I have a question.....

What happened to just providing a limit or a cap as some might call it to accounts so that if a person reaches say 40GB there speed goes down to surfing only level?
All the traffic shaping, levels of shaping, peak time usage, non-peak time usage, clean to, caps and any other complications that can go towards making anything other than general surfing a worrying and unpleasant experience for plusnet customers.
Are you hoping downloaders become the few and surfers become the many??
If this is the outlining factor for all of this then please be straight up with us.
Im not a heavy downloader and i have not recieved as yet an email of any kind regarding usage limits overrun but i am constantly checking my usage stats just in case i may have used more than i realised i had.
I do not find it amusing that there is a 30gb limit on peak usage....with unmanaged traffic up to 20gb.....this figure is pretty low and not hard to reach for alot of people, i hope PN can re-think on this level as it is a lil harsh.
With 8MB and 24MB services due soon im wondering what PN think the customers who choose either of those packages are going to do with there connection as they are certainly not beneficial to a silver surfer.
As online gaming, video streaming, voip and alike become the norm in due course, how are plusnet gonna provide a satisfactory service in the near future when todays levels of control are so shocking.
It can only get worse cant it?
Please! Please! Please! understand plusnet that while you continue on your quest for the holy grail of profit, alot of your customers are airing valid concerns in these forums and while they seem to be in the minority of your customer base.....there are alot of people who also notice the downgrade in service yet take a long while to speak up about the issue.

I used to be one......
12 REPLIES
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

Itll be interesting to see what happens to PNs stats on somewhere like www.adslguide.org over the next few months. See what people really make of this rather than what plusnet want us to think.

I do agree, whats wrng with a plain and simple hard cap, all this trafficing really does not make for an enjoyable experince, and that could well cost you customers in the near future. The problem is that you have implemented it in so many areas people dont know 100% what they can and cant use at the lines full capabilities, which for a gamer like myself, is a very worrying prospect.

I know im looking to get out within the next few weeks, and i also know of at least another 4 people on PN that want out as of 4 days ago.
Community Veteran

Re: Worried and Confused!!!

I do not find it amusing that there is a 30gb limit on peak usage....with unmanaged traffic up to 20gb.....this figure is pretty low and not hard to reach for alot of people

If fact that statement is wrong as the following table proves:

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_1pctfigures.php

A more recent table actually shows even more people don't reach that figure here: http://usergroup.plus.net/news_BBPlusDecUsage.php

You can see from that table that over 98% of PN customers have never reached the figure of 20GB in total downloads, let alone just for P2P/Usenet/FTP which is what the 20GB peak time figure is. It is for that reason the figure was chosen. You are clearly in the top 5% or even the top 1% to be affected by the limit so as a result your usage will be curtailed during the busy periods in order to enable the vast majority to have an unaffected connection.
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

As people are being encouraged to schedule large downloads to the off-peak periods (particularly Broadband Plus), wouldn't it be useful for the figures to be produced with a split between peak/off-peak? Otherwise the figures could be produced to illustrate "download hoggers", whereas some of those high users are actually using their product within the design/guidelines.
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

Thnx for the reply peter,

I personally am not in the top 1 or 5% as i have not exceeded that limit...i checked on my past usage and was amazed that for oct-nov 2005 i was at 24GB usage but i dont remember using my connection to that extreme, so i was merely stating that it is not a hard figure to reach and it is really not.
I personally dont leave my comp on thru the night so when i do use my connection it is gonna fall during peak time (suprise suprise) as that is when a majority of people are awake and have arrived home from work or school.
If i got the figures wrong then that just goes to show the confusion involved with the different restrictions, levels of restriction and the different times they are imposed.
There must be a more simplified way of going about this than what is in place right now.....alot of users issues are purely down to confusion with the whole escapade.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Worried and Confused!!!

I do agree, whats wrng with a plain and simple hard cap

For a start there's no flexability. If you hit a hard cap then you can't use the net at all, and that's a position I know I don't want to be in.
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

id rather have no net than pay 22.99 a month for a 2meg connection thats capped to 56k speeds because plusnet just want people who surf web pages. cant wait to leave this shoddy tinpot company...i have been throttled and i have only used 7gig during peak hours, this new system is wonderful! absolute crap, breach of contract to limit my speeds without hitting this limit, so ill have my mac code and fees waivered..this company is nothing short of a joke...we were even advised the other night to use some sort of 3rd party software to monitor our useage becuase plusnet dont know exactly how much we use lol what a complete sham that is....
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

As a Broadband Plus customer, I haven't- to my acknowledge- exceeded any usage guidelines, but I am thinking about the newly announced guidelines and considering whether they are going to meet my future needs/wishes.

Premier would be an obvious consideration, but then I'm observing the myriad of changes, and thinking, what is going on there (self-censored version :lol: )?

My point is that I am gaining an impression of Plusnet, that any choice I make is unlikely to be the choice I made, in anything but name, within a matter of a few weeks or months.

Even accepting that the nature of the broadband industry is such, that changes are from time-to-time necessary, I think that where some providers have the "edge" over Plusnet, are that their packages are more transparent.

That is an issue that is beginning to cause me concern as a Plusnet customer.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Worried and Confused!!!

wainyefc - If you have used as little as that in peak times then you won't be being managed at all. What sort of speeds are you getting? Also, what speeds do you get on a BT Speed Test?

Also, we have very accurate data on how much our customers are using, which is used to power the VMBU tool in the member centre.
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

thanks for the reply ben Smiley

during peak time my downloads can be as slow as 30kbs, but late at night (normally pics up around 10.30) my speeds go to about 170kbs (at half 10) then after 12 to full pelt (240kbs)....i have done bt line test and i downloaded from them at 1938kbs, which is fine...plusnet are currently looking into it, but surely it has to be management the way my speed amazingly goes back to normal @ off peak times, it is really strange
Community Veteran

Worried and Confused!!!

If you got BT test results that good during the time that you were getting poor speeds with PN, then I would concur that PN appear to be throttling you. However if you ran the BT test during a period that you also had good speeds via PN, then I suggest you run the BT test at a more appropriate time. Wink

Hope you get fixed up. Smiley
N/A

Worried and Confused!!!

Cheers dude, i ran the test at a time when i was doing speed tests with PN and downloading at scary speed of 40kbs. then i do the bt line test and got that result. has got "we are throttling you" wrote all over it
Community Veteran

Worried and Confused!!!

Yup!

Hopefully it is due to a misstake and can be rectified very soon. As in today!! Wink