cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wirelesss internet

N/A

Wirelesss internet

Any of you know if there are any Wireless internet ISPs?

A mate of mine wants to get wireless internet,

Also, are there any ISP's that do not requier you to have a BT line?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Wirelesss internet

Your best option at the moment is a 3G card or HSDPA card for a laptop if this is what you really want but it will cost you much moola. Sad

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Wirelesss internet

That doesn't sound too good then lol Smiley

What about getting internet withought having to have a BT line? Is that possible at all?
N/A

Wirelesss internet

IIRC BT are in the process of launching such a service in a number of city centres throughout the UK.
I don't remember the full details, but I think there was around 7 city's which were due to go ahead.
Also you need to live almost in the centre to be covered.

/Off to dig around some new sites
James
Grafter

Wirelesss internet

You might want to do a google for satellite broadband, or look at cable suppliers.
N/A

Wirelesss internet

/back with part of an answer

This page (BT PLC website) gives the info I'd heard, although it looks like its just Leeds - sorry if its no use.

Re: Service without a BT phone line - except for the tongue in cheek response that Kingston Communications do not require that you have a BT phone line, the only real option is to use a cable providor, such as NTL.

Re: Satellite Broadband, Not cheap - setup often over the £1000 mark, monthly fees approaching £60 - might not be the right option?

Does your pal have a neighbour with ADSL who may be prepared to share wirelessley for a small financial consideration?
Alecto
Grafter

Wirelesss internet

IIRC BT are in the process of launching such a service in a number of city centres throughout the UK.

I saw it on the news and it was being launched in a number of cities, it said. And there were caps galore on what you could download, and the downoad speed was limited to 256k unless I'm mistaken.

It's one of those things that sounds a good idea, but you don't want it to be such a good idea that everyone uses it, so you don't make it too attractive.
Community Veteran

Wirelesss internet

If he wants to use it in any area that is fairly residential, it maybe those locals will be kind enough to have a WiFi router without security enabled ... it maybe he needs a high gain antenna or 'cantenna' (details here) though.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Wirelesss internet

Alright, so as far as I understand, there aren't any normal wireless internet providers for you to use at home on your PC/Laptop.

You can get the 3G, but the card itself costs over £100 and I'm guessing you'd have to pay for every MB downloaded/uploaded?

Satellite internet seems really expensive as well, and it's not for them, all they want is just like, a normal internet that they can use at home to surf the web etc. but they want it wireless and one that does not requier you to have a BT line.

In other words, they would be better off getting one of them TV packages if they don't want to have a BT line?
N/A

Wirelesss internet

Its likely to be the most cost effective.

The sister in law has just signed up with NTL (apologies, I don't have the details of the deal to hand) but it compares reasonably favourably cost wise.

As with all things, its essential to make sure that the product fits, so check up on what it offers in terms of webspace, email addresses, download limits, traffic shaping etc.

If all that is required is a basic connection, most products on sale these days should fit the bill, but do watch out for ease of change if requirements change in the future.
Often with cable there is a commitment period which is longer than the monthly commitment with most ADSL contracts.
N/A

Wirelesss internet

Alright, well thanks for all the great advice and information, extremely helpful Cheesy

I'll pass all the info to them and let them decide then Smiley

Thanks again salyandjames and thanks everyone Smiley