cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Internet

N/A

Wireless Internet

Hi Everyone,
Im Sending this message in the forum as I have recently purchased a LinkSys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway and a Network Card to go in my Laptop which come with the package.I have been trying to figure out how to get the connection working for days and I have just managed to get the connection working on my Computer (Not Laptop).However I cannot seem to get the internet working on my laptop And I have the network card plugged in.It basically says there is no wireless networks found in range.Does anyone know why this is(My laptop is situated next to my computer.

regards,

Jon
8 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless Internet

if I remember my LinkSys routers they have an option for allowed MAC address's. On your laptop asuming you have windows click on start then run then type in cmd then press the ok button. Then a dos box should pop up in there type in "ipconfig /all" This should give a list of information, look for the Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : one thats under the wireless network card heading. Then make a note of this address.

Then from your main pc goto the routers admin page and add this address to the allowed list. You may need to reboot your router after thats been done.

Please remember though this is only just one possable cause of your problem but it definatly is worth looking at.
N/A

Wireless Internet

Just a thought,

I had this on my Buffalo kit, tried all the MAC stuff as mentioned above and then found the problem, the kit comes with Wireless functionality turned OFF by default for security reasons.

Doh!!!!!
N/A

Wireless Internet

lol these things are sometimes so obvious we forget to check them Smiley
graingerjjb
Grafter

Wireless Internet

I have this setup and it works like a dream.

I would suggest that you switch on SID transmission and allow anyone to connect to your router to start with - I've since locked mine down once I confirmed a connection -i.e. disable SID and only allow your Wireless MAC address - I can give you the exact location of the settings but I'm away from my router at the moment - it pretty easy to find though in the Wireless section.

However, there was a new firmware update given to me by support (dated June) which solved some intermittent connection issues via wireless - If your still having problems I can e-mail it to you Friday onwards.
N/A

Wireless Internet

Thankyou everyone.I found the MAC address on the Run In windows and went onto my router and entered the number in.This fixed the problem and Now I am able to connect to the internet via my laptop and P.C.Just upgraded to 1mbps today..So hopefully everything Is Okay Now.Has anyone else here upgraded from the normal broadband home (annual contract) to 1mbps and is there any significance in speed?

regards,
Jon
Community Veteran

Wireless Internet

You have asekd that Q in another thread. Please try and keep to one thread as it is difficult for people to follow answers if there are 2 places.
graingerjjb
Grafter

Wireless Internet

Apologies Peter but couldn't find Johnny's Q

I've moved from Easystart 512kb to Home Lite 2Mb (6 Gb limit) on this router (linksys WAG54G) and yes, I've seen the difference and quite frankly its fab
N/A

Wireless Internet

aye, got the same router Smiley

superb ain't it, only gripe I have is that it is limited to 20 single port forwarding, and 20 port range forwarding, whereas in the previous 2 D-Links, there didn't seem to be a limit, bit of a moot point though, coz it's not like I've used them all up yet Smiley but with 1 game wanting a certain set of ports, another a different set, it wouldn't be too hard to fill up I wouldn't have thought.

Latest firmware 1.02.1

the stuff it fixes are here

not had problems with the new firmware so far Smiley