Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless HUB

duncs
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Hi

I have been experiencing long term problems with my plusnet connection: frequently losing connection during surfing and then having to restart my BT voyager modem (connecting via USB cable). I was informed that it is likely an issue with my PC (which is indeed rather knackered) rather than a Plusnet/BT problem.

I am awaiting a new laptop to be delivered anyway and have also purchased a BT wireless HUB with a view to going wireless, so am just putting up with this at present. I have a few queries though:

1) At present I have to manually dial up each time I want to connect (ie not 'always on'). How will this work with my new wireless HUB?

2) Is there a guide to setting up my new wireless HUB in conjunction with my new laptop anywhere on the plusnet support site?

3) Has anyone else been experiencing this lost connection problem? If so, do you think it will be resolved with my new hardware?

4) Is there a way to ensure that my connection for my new wireless HUB is 'always on'?

Cheers
15 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Which model of Wireless Ruoter have you gone for?
duncs
Grafter

Wireless HUB

BT 1800HG ADSL 802.11g Wireless Modem Router Hub
James
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Aha, good.

I was concerned that you had managed to get hold of a Home Hub, which won't work with PlusNet.

It will be always on. essentially, the definition of always on means that there is always a broadband signal on your telephone line, but once you have your router set up, you'll just turn on your computer and the connection will be there.
duncs
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Sounds good. Any thoughts on other queries (2&3)?
Mand
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Hi there,

This page should sort that out for you. Smiley
jagger
Grafter

Wireless HUB

I've just connected a router and it's completely stopped my disconnections and packet loss.Previously I was using a Zoom 5510 USB modem and it was total pain.

All you need to do is follow the instructions for the router.
jagger
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Spoke too soon.

Ignore that no lost connections bit.
duncs
Grafter

Wireless HUB

OK, just installed new router onto new laptop - still disconnects randomly, this morning every 5 mins or so. I then just have to right click the wireless connection and re-connect.

Any ideas what is causing this?

I know its not my laptop as it is working fine on a BT business ADSL wireless connection at a work-client site: fully connected all day no probs.

Really annoying me now... :x
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wireless HUB

If it's still happening with alternative hardware then there's definitely a source of interference on the line somewhere, however we need to prove it's a fault with BTs bit rather than anything in your premises - please remove all non ADSL items from the line (basically anything and everything that's not the router) and plug the router in to the master socket. If the line still drops you've proved it to be a line fault and we can raise this to BT for you, please raise it to us as a fault via the checker at http://faults.plus.net
N/A

Wireless HUB

OK, just installed new router onto new laptop - still disconnects randomly, this morning every 5 mins or so. I then just have to right click the wireless connection and re-connect.

If you have setup the router to be always on then you should not need to do a right click as the router should reconnect automatically. When you say that the router disconnects is the router losing the connection to the exchange or asre you just losing the connection from the laptop to the router? If it's the latter then you could still have some power saving modes enabled on the laptop.
duncs
Grafter

Wireless HUB

OK now trying through the main BT socket. Problem still continuing. Windows informs me that network connections are available and I have to manually connect again. Lights on router:

Power: continous green
Broadband: continuous green
Local network: no light (until manually re-connect, when it returns to continous green)

Therefore suspect it is still my router / software setup??

Can anyone direct me to some basic checks I can run on windows and router settings to ensure it isn't a router/software problem? Sorry, bit of a noob at all this. Shockedops:

Cheers
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Wireless HUB

This looks like a network fault rather than a broadband fault- I'd not raise a fault report just yet. Does your new laptop use Vista per chance?

Does the network still drop if you're connecting using a network cable?

Can you do the following so we can inspect your settings and check if this is what's causing the problem-

1. Go to Start

2. Click "Run" (depending on your Start Menu layout this will either be immediately above the Start button or to the right above "Shut Down")

3. In the box that appears type "cmd"

4. At the prompt type "ipconfig /all".

5. Paste (right click, Select All, press "Enter" to copy) the results here or PM them to me.
duncs
Grafter

Wireless HUB

Results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\duncanblack>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : UKDL10727
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : uk.kworld.kpmg.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : uk.kworld.kpmg.com
gateway.2wire.net
kworld.kpmg.com
kpmg.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI C
ard
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-7C-F1-5E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 July 2007 18:37:17
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 29 July 2007 18:37:17

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-C3-0F-23

D:\Documents and Settings\duncanblack>

---------------

To summarise:

- had same problem using old machine with standard BT USB ADSL modem connection

- tried with new wireless BT 1800HG with my work laptop running windows 2000(and which works with other wireless connections); problem continuing

- tried connected new wireless HUB to central BT socket, prob continued, but lights indicated network prob (see previous post)

- just tried disconnecting all other devices on my phoneline and has stayed connected for the past 3 hours. Does this suggest that it is a problem with my internal wiring? If so, i take it I have to cough up to fix it? Any advice on how to go about resolving this? I will try connecting each device back tomorrow am in turn and see which one appears to be the problem...

Note however that previously I had instances of staying connected ok - seemed to be a rather intermittent problem. Cant remember the last time I had 3 hours continuous connection though Smiley

Cheers for all the advice
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wireless HUB

I will try connecting each device back tomorrow am in turn and see which one appears to be the problem...

This is definitely the way forward, I should think it'll be a faulty microfilter on one of your phones (either that or one of the devices is itself causing interference on the line) but by doing this you'll be able to find out which one it is.

Let us know if it doesn't help and we'll investigate further.