cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Dropouts

N/A

Wireless Dropouts

I have been running my connection to a Netgear 834G router over a wireless connection for a couple of years with no problems. A neighbour has now set up their own network - on a different channel (he is Ch 11, I am Ch1). While my signal is stronger (90% vs 40%), I frequently get a drop out when this other network is run up. I have tried a directional antenna but still get the problem.

I would like to set the windows wireless settings to never connect via this other network, and to ignore it completely, but cannot find any setting to do this (my Dell laptop has Intel software which allows a list of base station IP addresses to ignore).

Can anyone suggest a solution?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless Dropouts

try a different encription on your network and change the channel .Go to www.grc.com ,you will find on that site a random encription key generator.If you have your encrited then I should think that may cure the drop out problem whereas if both networks are unsecure they will probably try and cancel each other out .As the routers might be trying to connect to each other .Where I live I have several wireless networks round about all encripted ,as my toshiba lappy has built in wireless it can see the lot ,much the same as it can pick up the wireless hotspots in stations if I try it there .Dont think they will ever ignore each other but encription should stop the dropout .
___oDiN__
Grafter

Wireless Dropouts

you can always ask your neighbour to turn off his ssid ( a good security idea anyway) and then it wont be visable to your network anyway
N/A

Wireless Dropouts

Should have said, my network is WEP encrypted, his is not protected and broadcasts SSID, so will ask him not to broadcast SSID
___oDiN__
Grafter

Wireless Dropouts

id go one more and be a good neighbour and secure his system for him

he may not know about it being insecure or understand the reality of his openness

ps get wep off and get wpa-psk on
much more secure
wep is easy cracked
N/A

Wireless Dropouts

I'd like to add that my 'old man' is having similar issues with the same type of netgear router. Signal strength 90 ish % yet on a constant ping seeing frequent drop outs as well as high ping times.

I took my zyxel router and gave it the equivalent config and it worked a charm!
N/A

Wireless Dropouts

Here is a slightly unrelated but interesting fact about how much people seam to know about securing a wireless network I took my laptop to a friend once, he lives in a large block of flats, turned it on opened firefox to show my friend some stuff I had done for him, to my supprise it loads up the google homepage and was online so I checked the wireless properties, it was detecting no less than 47 unprotected networks in range, seams people in high density blocks of flats have a big passion for badly protected wireless networks, probably also a giant add for anyone that might want to do some online activities they would not want traced back to them :|
N/A

Wireless Dropouts

Also, make sure both routers are running the latest firmware (v3.01.25 IIRC).

Also, make sure that only the PCs in your house are on the routers 'Wireless station access list'.