cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Broadband, when will it be available to F9?

N/A

Plusnet customers have had Wireless Broadband available for several months, but it has not yet appeared on F9. This is a service I for one would be keen to use from time to time BUT IT IS NOT AVAILABLE.

I have been a happy F9 customer for more years than I care to remember, nearly 2 years on Broadband – have been upgraded to 2Mb. I can’t complain about the service I am getting but why do I miss out as a F9 customer? Do I pay less than a Plusnet customer?

Alan
5 REPLIES
N/A

Replying RE: Wireless internet access,Ivan

Hello Alan,

That's a very good question to which I dont know the answer myself?? Dave Tomlinson or Ben Brown could answer that one better than me. I know that users on PlusNet do already have wireless internet connectivity and that this has some relation to BT's wireless service.

**I suspect you have to check your BT exchange details and a quick check with samknows website (URL) http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php
This will tell you if your exchange supports a wirless service, however I suspect that no many areas in the UK have wireless yet in ordinary BT exchanges (perhaps its only the larger one's?).

**I'm in inner city Leeds with one of the biggests BT transist exchanges in West Yorkshire less than 1 mile down the road but I cannot get wireless internet yet myself for some unknown reason.

**Wireless internet seems to have taken off far more slowley than ordinary broadband hard wired services. Wireless access is far more patchy than you might expect. Also wireless does still suffer from having atleast x2 protocols.

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The main reason that Wireless is only available on PlusNet is because of the way you have to authenticate to use it. When you log in to the hotspot you use your normal PlusNet username, and BT know it's PlusNet because you click the link with our logo. To do F9 and FOL as well we'd have to set it up 3 times with BT Openzone.

As we'd no idea what the demand for the service would be like when we introduced wireless we decided that we'd do it first with the largest of the three vISP's (PlusNet) and so long as it was successful add F9 and FOL at a later date.

I don't have any more information than that but will ask.
N/A

Hi Dave,

Just out of curiosity, is it very costly to setup with BT Openzone??

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

To be honest I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought it would be cheap.
N/A

openzone is $$$$$$

I have attended the open wifi forum for the UK and they hope to implementing wimax to major cities of the UK by next year (ill believe when i see it).

This should be a better offering