cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP and Zoom Modem

N/A

Windows XP and Zoom Modem

Looking for a bit of help here. I recently upgraded my PC and had to buy a new internal PCI modem, as my old internal modem was ISA and there are not ISA slots in the new PC.

So I bought a Zoom 3025 (c) modem form PCworld! as I thought they we're a reputable make.

Now with my old PC (windows 9Cool and modem I got connected almost 1st time, everytime.

With the new PC (windows XP) and modem it can take an age to get connected, loads of failed attempts, timeouts, and wrong username/password (which is odd cuase I never changed them)

I've been to micrsoft support, changed the turned the H/W compression off, the software off, the LCP extentions etc etc as suggested in the help documentation, installed the latest drivers and nothing... last night It took nearly half and hour of autoredail before I got connected...

What am I missing? Any help really appreciated.

13 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Windows XP and Zoom Modem

Hi Al...

I had similar problems when I changed a softmodem for a Hayes V.92 modem using XP. When I bought the new one, the guy in the shop advised me that XP doesn't like (un)installing internal modems, and it would be likely that I would have to reinstall Windows from scratch.
Luckily I had only just bought my PC, so wasn't too much hassle to format my drive and start again using the XP CD.
He also told me not to install the drivers for the modem I had bought if Windows XP recognised it anyway. XP thinks it is a Lucent Winmodem (it is actually a Hayes) but seems to dial-up OK. I have now got ADSL (thanks PlusNet) and use a router, but have kept my modem set-up just incase BT screw up.

This problem in XP may be fixed by the imminent service pack (if enough people complained to Microsoft), I don't know.

If you haven't installed stacks of software on your PC yet, it might be worth starting from scratch (leave the modem in the machine) and seeing if XP configures it itself. It's a bit drastic, but it worked in my case.

Hope this helps... ?

Daniel
Cheesy
N/A

Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it was a clean install, XP didn't even pick up the modem until I loaded the drivers.

I think I bought a pup! When in the XP fixpak available, I keep uptodate with windows update, is that not the same thing ?

Thanks again
Al

N/A

Hi Al

The XP service pack is supposed to be out end of August, which gives Microsoft a week or so to keep their promises.

I think the service pack is more than just the critical updates in a single place.. I understood that additional functionality would be added, like the ability to remove IE6, and use another browser as default.

Don't quote me though...

I have just had a look on www.zoom.com and found the following user manual...

http://zoom.com/graphics/datasheets/30250101.pdf

According to Zoom the 3025 works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4.0 and 2000 only. This is what the manual for my Zoom USB ADSL modem said (before I took it back to PC world) although the box had an XP compatible sticker on it.

PC World will take it back if you explain that the manufacturers website says it isn't compatible - they don't have much choice.

It's a pain, but might be your best bet...
PC World are advertising a Hayes V.92 Internal for £49.99... the same as I have & I know it works on XP - as a Lucent Winmodem, and you don't need to install the drivers.

Daniel
Cheesy
N/A

Sorry, me again... just one thing...

The Hayes modem doesn't make a noise (even if you set the options in the control panel) which means that you don't know if it is trying to connect.

I thought this was good (beats sounding like a ZX Spectrum) but might not suit you.

Just a thought...

See ya.
Daniel
Cheesy
N/A

Daniel

Thanks for your help... I have an open ticket with Zoom so I'll see what they say, then I think straight back to PCWorld...

As to the Hayes and no noice, what with that fans, beeps etc the new PC makes it's a positive advantage...

Thanks again

Al
N/A

Daniel

Thanks for your help... I have an open ticket with Zoom so I'll see what they say, then I think straight back to PCWorld...

As to the Hayes and no noice, what with that fans, beeps etc the new PC makes it's a positive advantage...

Thanks again

Al
N/A

>
> Thanks for your help... I have an open ticket with Zoom so I'll see what they say, then I think straight back to PCWorld...
>
> As to the Hayes and no noice, what with that fans, beeps etc the new PC makes it's a positive advantage...
>
>

Hi Al,

Please let us know what Zoom say about your problem. This may help other users in the same position as yourself.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Looking for a bit of help here. I recently upgraded my PC and had to buy a new internal PCI modem, as my old internal modem was ISA and there are not ISA slots in the new PC.
>
> So I bought a Zoom 3025 (c) modem form PCworld! as I thought they we're a reputable make.
>
I was in the same position. Upgraded to XP, existing mode was not XP compatible, so I bought a ZOOM V92 Hayes modem. Connection was very unreliable, for both PlusNet and 0845 access to BTO.
PlusNet customer support offered lots of suggestions, but none resolved the problem.

Solution, BT enabled our exchange for ADSL, and so I upgraded.Smiley
N/A

> >
> I was in the same position. Upgraded to XP, existing mode was not XP compatible, so I bought a ZOOM V92 Hayes modem. Connection was very unreliable, for both PlusNet and 0845 access to BTO.
> PlusNet customer support offered lots of suggestions, but none resolved the problem.
>
> Solution, BT enabled our exchange for ADSL, and so I upgraded.Smiley
>

Hi,

This is the solution that many people are turning to as soon as ADSL becomes available at their exchange.

Regards,

Dave

--
N/A

If I could get ADSL I'd pay for it, but when I check on the BT Boradband Availability Checker I get

The following......

Our records show that we are using a fibre phone line technology to supply phone service to your address. Unfortunately as a result of this you will not be able to receive Broadband ADSL service for the time being, even if your local exchange has been upgraded with Broadband ADSL.

However, BT is developing partnerships with local and national government bodies to explore the possibilities of bringing Broadband to areas such as yours in a cost-effective way.

BT is also supporting the concept of using alternative technologies such as satellite to deliver new Broadband services to areas such as yours. Please note that the prices for any services of this nature will be different to those currently charged for the Broadband ADSL services.

BT is also running a pre-registration scheme to monitor demand for ADSL. BT is partly using this demand to help determine which technology will be used to bring ADSL services to your area. For more info on pre-registration please click here

Thank you for your interest.

So I guess I'm stuffed on both fronts, ***** modem and no ADSL... while were on the subject do they mean fibre optic, to my house?
N/A

Having said that If I go to btopenworld they tell me.....

We are sorry but our records show that although broadband is available at your exchange, you are too far away from the exchange for us to provide the service.

ADSL is distance dependent technology and can only be provided on a combined underground cable and telephone distance of approximately 5km; as the total distance to your premises is longer than this we are unable to provide service.

So then I was really confused, so I sent them (BT) and email, that was 22nd June, and guess what other than the acknowledgement saying they would get back to me soon, nothing nada... not reply... so I gave up... (and yes I did keep sending reminder notes, for a while anyway)

Thanks
Al

PS.. just for interest the Tiscali (who's dialup I left, for obvious reasons, for +net) line checker says I can have ADSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder is it's anything to do with the fact my number is imported from NTL to BT... Now I could go back to NTL? but there again I remember why I left!
N/A

> If I could get ADSL I'd pay for it, but when I check on the BT Boradband Availability Checker I get
>
> The following......
>
> Our records show that we are using a fibre phone line technology to supply phone service to your address. Unfortunately as a result of this you will not be able to receive Broadband ADSL service for the time being, even if your local exchange has been upgraded with Broadband ADSL.
>
> However, BT is developing partnerships with local and national government bodies to explore the possibilities of bringing Broadband to areas such as yours in a cost-effective way.
>
> BT is also supporting the concept of using alternative technologies such as satellite to deliver new Broadband services to areas such as yours. Please note that the prices for any services of this nature will be different to those currently charged for the Broadband ADSL services.
>
> BT is also running a pre-registration scheme to monitor demand for ADSL. BT is partly using this demand to help determine which technology will be used to bring ADSL services to your area. For more info on pre-registration please click here
>
> Thank you for your interest.
>
> So I guess I'm stuffed on both fronts, ***** modem and no ADSL... while were on the subject do they mean fibre optic, to my house?

Hi,

It is unlikely that you have a fibre optic connection right up to your house / premises. When BT states that you are “using fibre phone line technology” they mean that somewhere along the line, they use fibre to supply a phone service to your address. This may be up to your exchange or even up to the green box on your street.

Regards,

Dave

--
N/A

Well Zoom tech support came back to me a couple of days a go an recommended downloading the "new" driver from

http://www.zoom.com/ts1/analog/3025c.shtml#file

which I did, and now my connection is much better, even got 48000bps last night.

Connection seems much more 1st everytime over the few days I have been testing it.

FYI... This page/information/driver does not seem to have made it to the zoom web page yet.

Hope this helps...
Al