cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP SP2

N/A

Windows XP SP2

With the release of service pack 2 for windows xp, many users will want to download these updates. However, with some of the dial-up packages, users get automatically disconnected after a specified period (on our old Premier account, it is 2 hours). When leaving this to update over-night, this might stop the download & installation which would be very annoying.

My suggestion is that over this period, perhaps just for overnight, the automatic disconnection could be stopped to ensure that *all* users are protected.
Might it also be a good idea (because of Microsoft's limited capacity), that the full service pack be downloaded and be made available from force9 web servers too?
This would help broadband users as well (and probably help your bandwidth costs... 200 meg * 20,000 people = a lot)

What do u think f9?
14 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Windows XP SP2

Hi,

Only Connect Start and Connect Lite accounts have a cut-off at all. Connect Lite's cut-off is 1 hour, which doesn't apply overnight or at weekends. Connect Start is based around 5 hours per week so these customers would be better off getting a CD from Microsoft as they'd go well over their weekly usage downloading SP2.

It has been suggested that we could have SP2 on our web servers but unfortunately Microsoft wouldn't allow it.
N/A

Re: WinXP SP2 on server?

Hi Dave,
Do you know why MS wont allow SP2 to be held on F9's server?? Just as a matter of interest, is it more Microsoft control freakery yet again.

Ivan :lol:
N/A

Windows XP SP2

the reason being that microsoft won't allow it is because of the pirates out there - they want to be the only official source for the product. They aren't even going to release it for magazine cover cd's (even the dedicated windows xp mag).

Also there are some issues with it at the moment - network devices going missing - drivers overwritten - 3rd party application stop working - some users have had to do a full reinstall of their machines.

Currently you can get a fix that stops you downloading the update automatically as well.

So be careful if you do download it....

Mike
N/A

Replying Re: WinXP SP2

Hi,

Thanks for your advise and comments regarding SP2, Yes! I have downloaded and installed the "Reg Key" Tool that prevents automatic and windows update of SP2. I'm affraid to say that MS service packs havent got substantially better yet even though some promises where made in the past.

Frankly I'm not in a hurry to install SP2 on my own system, I cannot see what all the fuss is about. I'm definately of the opinion that SP2 should be given a wide berth until its definately proven that it works OK and wont screw up my system or until its proven that I definately need it. Otherwise my own opinion is that SP2 is just more Microsoft bloatware and should be avoided until other tested and required.

**I shall probably still download and install the critical updates other than SP2 as I see fit.

**This is based on several years experience of windows NT service pack's and several versions on winNT.

Thanks Again Ivan
N/A

Windows XP SP2

yeh when it installs it changes a lot of settings - the firewall is permantly set - which can cause problems if got a network on static ip - especially if got shares setup or using ICS - also keeps popping up with messages about security and if you disable auto updating it whinges about that.
N/A

Stuffed then?

Hello woodviews

Ahh!!! Yes! Very interesting, so what your saying is that if you install SP2 and you already have a decent non MS firewall installed and working perfectly fine. Then Microsoft guarentee to 100% **** up your entire system for you, OOP's naughty Ivan you must go saying nasty things about uncle Billy & Co and there service packs, thats not very kind of you.

Dont you just love all the security stuff which MS are desperately trying to fix YET Again?!! I do sometimes wonder just occationally HOW microsoft get away with such a holey or should that be Wholey operating system. I do sometimes wonder why I dont run red hat or such like but I think I know the real answer to that one and it always comes down to the same thing which is the real lack of good user friendly app's. And the lack of compatibility with MS software, Yawn Yawn!! Ah well back to windows as they say.

Ivan
:lol:
N/A

Windows XP SP2

yep that's correct - they want it enabled all the time - it also detects if you ain't got antivirus software installed or if it is if its out of date. There are currently a load of issues regarding it

here are some

Conflicts with LaCie Firewire 800 drives
Causes problems with SQL Server 2000 and Microsoft CRM 1.2
Could break net tools that use raw sockets
Microsoft Systems Management Server Remote Tools cannot remotely manage clients running SP2
SP2 firewall disables Client Push Installation
SP2 users must update to Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 1.2.1

Pop-up ads blocked
Revamped firewall on by default
Outlook Express, Internet Explorer and Windows Messenger warn about attachments
Origins of downloaded files logged
Web graphics in e-mail no longer loaded by default
Some spyware blocked
Users regularly reminded about Windows Updates
Security Center brings together information about anti-virus, updates and firewall
Protection against buffer over-runs
Windows Messenger Service turned off by default

They have also stopped the file being downloaded via peer to peer software

regards
Mike
N/A

Ahhh!!! its SP2 Ho No!!

Hi Mike,

All I can say is it sounds like a really good idea NOT to install SP2 bye default, it all sounds like yet more Microsoft creeping clutches, more MS tenticles weaving its way into our systems in a way that fewer & fewer people will eventually really understand in the end.

**Do you think there will eventually be courses in how to speak Microsoft?? Ho no! dont tell me they exsist already, Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!screems very loudly.

**No! I think I'll try giving SP2 a miss thanks very much, the more I hear about SP2 the more it sounds like bloatware and useless blaotware at that. I havent heard about a decent serious patch or fix that comes with SP2.

:lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Windows XP SP2

It does contain a lot of fixes, take a look at the MSKB article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811113

A lot of them have been available seperately so once it is deployed on Windows Update for most users it should be a lot smaller than 260MB.
N/A

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I take your point but I prefer (where possible of course) to pick and choose the fixes and patches that I feel are worth having for my system and which are not worth a candle. Frankly a huge number of MS updates or automatic updates are a complete waste of space and time.

For example a fix for a branded DVD player so that snow white and the seven dwafs movie will show correctly. No! I kid you not this is a real MS fix. I personally also dislike the way many of the MS fixes & updates yet again are designed to encourage users to take on yet more MS services and software. But this might just be me being picky! I have a love hate with BIlly & Co but I'm sure I'm not alone though. :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Windows XP SP2

Looking at it from a support point of view I'd rather have a single fix all service pack than dozens of smaller ones, although in an ideal world there would be both.
Telling a customer they need to install Service Pack X is going to be a lot simpler than saying you need the following 20 patches for your modem to work.
N/A

Replying Re:SP2

Hi,
In response to your above reply, Oh! I totally agree with you from a support point of view & I would conceed that not all have the level of expereince that someone like me has. So I consider myself to be luck given this kind of scenario. I am just glad that Billy & Co have at least left some level of choice on this issue i.e. the full SP2 or individuel patches as required.

The other reason I'm not a great fan of such service packs is that MS has a history of bundling in new things and changes to exsisting software without it being easy to discover these things BEFORE you install the darn thing. I've found from past experience that its quite common that such service packs contain all sorts of useless added extra's that get installed even if you dont want them and its just that your OS or windows directory becomes even more over grown and bloated and its for this reason mainly that given the choice yes! I would prefer to download & install the 7 fixes or patches out of the 20 on offer. But yes! I agree its probably just me and the way I like to do things like this. But I understand your point of view too.

Cheers my friend Ivan Cool
N/A

Windows XP SP2

I also agree that a lot of MS fixes are not related to my setup and are not required so I don't bother downloading them - I only get what I need.

As for the fix in one big pack it has its good points and bad points.

I currently work for a support company and because of the issues withnin SP2 we are advising not to install at this moment until we have done further tests - mainly because a lot of our users don't have a good understanding of pc's and windows. But because of the industry I am in our users have to use them.

If they started installing the patch and it caused problems they would be ringing us complaining this has done this and that, and expect us to send out engineers to fix free of charge.

So for us the install of a patch can cause numerous problems and extra workload for the staff.

Mike
N/A

Managing Distribution of SP2

Hi Mike,

Yep! I understand comletely what your talking about and I think many SME will also be taking a very similar stance on deplying SP2. Of course if your one of those organisations that uses MS systems management server (or what ever its now called, or has it become an extension of the Active Directory I'm not sure in Windows 2003 server?) Then as you say testing the service pack is essential if all your client machines are going to be more or less clones or mirror imaged on your network. I know with things like SP's its possible or used to be possible to push service packs out to all clients on the network with just one click of the mouse from a central admin workstation.

**I think testing is essential for a work related network otherwise it can become an IT support persons worst nightmare, the kind of thing I wouldnt wish upon anyone.

Best Regards Ivan Cool