cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update Even Being Throttled Now?

N/A

Hi All,

I am getting more and more frustrated and annoyed with this nonsense!

I pay £21.99 a month for a terrible service, Premier Unlimited, (hah!) 2Mbps blah, blah, blah!

Today I was updating Office 2003 from Microsoft and a 45MB download took 33 minutes!

33 MINUTES for a tiny 45MB download!

It can't be Microsoft's servers because I presume they are ultra high speed!

I have done the relevant tests so it ain't my connection so I guess Plusnet are even throttling 3rd party downloads now!

(here enter Plusnet support with excuses)

YES, done all the tests etc. it is solely when downloading!

I cannot understand how a company can shaft it's customers so much and get away with it.!

Be very interesting to see what other downloads etc. are now being throttled?

Anyone else experience this?

Later!

hellmett
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

can you point me to the download you did - Ill try it..... Im on the office 2mb connection (not PN) at least this will rule out or rule in the Microsoft servers....
N/A

I have noticed this, I did a update the other day and it was crawling at abut 16KB/sec.
N/A

I've had this problem with the MS update servers. Sometimes it's a fast connection and sometimes very slow. I've found that if you leave the download page and then go back to it, the speed usualy increases. I have had to do this on several updates, but eventualy I got a full speed download of 200+KB. I don't think it's PN that are at fault, I think it's just pot luck which server you connect to at MS. It may take several retries, but it works eventualy.
Regards, John Taylor

EDIT By eventualy I mean within 5 to 10 mins.
N/A

i noticed this before, and assumed the following

the update engine tries to determine ur speed and caps u at that, so if ur downloading at the time, it detects a lower speed (cause theres a slower response) and it keeps that speed, even if u finish downloading the other.

not tested this by any means, but seen the same problem and figured thats why.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've seen this reported before, it seems to be that there's a problem with some of Microsoft's mirrors and it depends which one of them you connect to as to how fast the download is.

Do a tracert to the Microsoft server you are downloading from, I think it's generally the akamai ones that are quick and the footprint that are slower.
N/A

RE

The download was:-

Office 2003 Service Pack 2

The download was restarted 3 times and the computer was rebooted 3 times in between, (I couldn't believe the speed so I restarted!).

Explain that!!!!

It is virtually impossible to get the same mirror 3 times in a row!

It was a SOLO download with NO other internet activity on the computer!

I suggest we try downloading other 3rd party downloads to see what the heck is happening!

Later!

hellmett
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Perhaps there were other users in your area who, also deemed it the right time to install Office 2003 SP2 - so you will all be on the same contention ratio @ the exchange, and its a hefty patch depending on how much extra patches you added on top of SP1.

Speaking from experience, there has been a numbe rof issues with some of the MS update mirrors, and to get the same SET of mirrors 3 times in row, is entirely possible, given there are a lot of them, and you may have been passed along the same route everytime you connected. Once somebody else took your slot, you would have been bumped to another server.

I see a lot of blame being aimed at PN, some rightly, some not so - to be sure, get a friend who is not on PN (most of mine are - good discount!!) to test with roughly the same d/l at th same time of day.
N/A

Just tried Windows Update and it came down as fast as I would expect from a 2MB connection (240kB/sec), Also tried some HTTP downloads from Tucows from various locations and they all maxed out my 2MB CONNECTION

PlusNet do get blamed for most everything nowadays, I'm no big fan of the way PlusNet have treated customers of late, but I do feel to blame everything on PlusNet is going a little OTT
N/A

Just updating my Office 2003. 151MB coming down at 170KB. this was after 2 attempts, the first being at 18KB the second at 30KB. Still looks like pot luck as to which server you get.
Regards, John Taylor.

Edit Dropped a bit to 110KB, but I would put that down to the time of day.
N/A

RE

Thanks for the input chaps!

It's just that so much crud has been hurled on customers by Plusnet recently it's getting very hard to think positively at all anymore!

I cannot imagine, from a few of these posts, why MONEY and PROFIT has became the main issue?

Without going into the usual rantings I seen a post "pleading" for a rise in P2P speeds from 3Kbps to 6Kbps.

Maybe this was a joke but we seem to be going backwards instead of forwards!

3Kbps downloading with lines in some places enabled to 24Mbps?

It just seems so ridiculous!

Later!

hellmett
N/A

I've read a lot of those posts as well, and you can't blame every slow download on PN. P2P in general seems to be going downhill, and to be fair, nobody can blame it all on PN. Part of the problem is the crap upload speeds that we have in this country. With P2P, you can only download it as fast as it's uploaded unless you are connected to lots and lots of seeds. When you can download at 8 times the speed that you can upload, then something is going to suffer and it's usualy the download speed. As well as this there are the "hit and run" fraternity who contribute very little to P2P downloads, but suck up the available data as fast as they can while uploading next to nothing. I usualy manage to get good speeds on most P2P, but I have had my share of bad ones as well. As for the traffic shaping by PN, it seems to make just a small difference to me, but I may be one of the lucky ones. I do most of my downloading outside peak times anyway, but the odd one that is during peak times still runs quite well, depending on the source. All my http downloads come down at 200+ KB, depending on the source,so there isn't anything wrong with my connection. I can't speak for usenet, as I don't use it. Enough from me, time for food.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

Hi,

I've seen this reported before, it seems to be that there's a problem with some of Microsoft's mirrors and it depends which one of them you connect to as to how fast the download is.

Do a tracert to the Microsoft server you are downloading from, I think it's generally the akamai ones that are quick and the footprint that are slower.

Correct as I've seen the same problem at work and we have nothing to do with plusnet and have a very fast lan.
N/A

The updates are slow also on F2S, just updated and it was no faster than 18KB/s