cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will unplugging my router screw my stable rate?

N/A

I've just bought a nice new Netgear WG111v2 wireless USB adapter, so I can relocate my Netgear DG834G wireless router to the bedroom where my phone socket is located, and thus ditch the trailing cables. Obviously to do this I will need to switch off my router for a few minutes - will BT's network see this as an error-fuelled disconnection and reduce my stable rate? I have an excellent stable connection, a stable rate of 8000 and speeds of 6.5MB+ most of the time and don't want any problems as a result...
11 REPLIES
N/A

I wouldn't have thought so... As far as i'm aware, you will only reduce your stable rate if you start syncing at a lower rate than you had before. Don't do it too many times though!

Then again, MaxDSL is very sensitive to things like where the planets are and stuff like that!! (U should still be fine)

Craig
long-gone
Grafter

I get similar speeds from a DG834PN.
Over the last 4 days we have had 14 power cuts due to storms. The cuts have lasted anywhere from seconds to an hour or so, but it didn't seem to affect the modem/router in the slightest.
I don't know how a power cut is different from any other disconnection, but every time it reconnected at 8128 (I'm about 1Km from the exchange).
Hope your disconnection turns out the same.
ady
Grafter

i hope not, but that would explain alot, i do it all the time Cheesy

looks nicer in diff places sometimes Tongue
N/A

So far, so good. I'm getting around 5.5MB download speed, stable rate is still 8000, connecting at 8218kbps/448kbps, line attenuation is 24/7 and noise margin is 12/26. Signal strength is 96%.

Although it means no trailing cables, I'd hoped it might increase my upload speed from 372kbps as I'd thought the long (VERY long) cable may have been responsible. However this hasn't moved at all - it's still 372kpbs. I'm guessing this is just the maximum my line can cope with?
craiglay
Grafter

Good good, glad it went good for you.

Thats probably the max upstream you'll ever see as you have to account for protocol overheads. Actually 8128 downstream sync only really brings an absolute maximum IP speed of about 7Mbit.

Craig
N/A

How come the business packages can supply a faster upload speed, is it all to do with what BT will allow specific product packages to access?

Also: when I was upgraded to 8MB, my Speedtouch 300 USB modem couldn't cope, I had USB bus congestion errors which is why I went for the Netgear router (and I don't regret that for one second, it is an incredible piece of hardware). This may sound like a daft question to people in the know, but why would I suffer bus congestion with a USB modem and not with this USB adapter?
craiglay
Grafter

Kinda... BT provide a set of products to the ISP and the ISP provides their packages based on this. I think the business packages also have a lower contention ratio.

I'm not sure about that one but... USB has a maximum data rate of 12MBit (480MBit for USB2) but i don't think that one device can use the whole 12MBit as its a bus with certain overheads and restrictions. Add to that; all the signal processing for the modem would be done on the CPU so there will be additional control signals sent to the modem.

I'm guessing you've got a USB wireless adapter. This may either be USB2 (480MBit) and not be limited, or it wont connect itself at anything higher than it can manage.

Good choice on the Netgear, I have a DG834G

Craig
N/A

Hello all.

I have a DG834G as well and noticed on monday that I was synching at 8128/448.

Immediately my upload rate was faster (consistently 374 kbit) but my download rate hasn't improved from 2mbit yet. I think this is due to the plusnet stable rate page reporting my stable rate as 2000 kbps. I have line attenuation 8/1.5 and noise margin 12/28 so i know i can handle the 8mbit and it's always synched at 8128 but the speed isn't changing.

How long will it take for the speed to increase from your experiences? I've been disconnecting the router once a day like it says on the stable rate page. Thanks.
craiglay
Grafter

It normally takes 3 days for the exchange to realise your syncing at a higher rate but can take longer. If you're out of your 10 day training period and still have a 2000kbps stable rate, raise a ticket stating your stable rate is stuck.

With figures like that, you must be sitting on the exchange... Much like I am...

Craig
N/A

Aye, just round the corner! Cool One of the attractions of the flat! Will be even cooler for when BE gets activated here in January!

This being the 6th day, i would've hoped it would be updated by now. Oh well. Is unplugging the router once a day for 20 seconds the right thing to do?
craiglay
Grafter

I can just look out the bedroom window and its just a little down the road...

I've even though of knocking on the door with a reel of fibre and asking "where can I put this"!!! I don't think they'd be amused though... I'm waiting for any supplier to offer ADSL2+ as i'll probably be straight there. Sadly, electricity is still being developed here (Norfolk) so i'm in for a long wait.

Hold on in there, it should have, but hasn't.. When it gets to 10 days, raise that ticket!! Otherwise any PN CS watching this want to nudge the profile!! I just rebooted my router every morning... Worked a treat.

Craig