cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the name of "broadband plus" be changed?

itchyfeet
Grafter

Will plus.net be changing the name of "broadband plus" since it will no longer be broadband (according to the Ofcom definition):

Essentially, ‘broadband’ just means a faster than standard dial-up internet connection.

Also, it is ‘always on’ , so once your computer is switched the connection is always immediately available.

taken from http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/ifv/digital_tv/new_digital_media_dev/bb/#content

Or will they be asking Ofcom to change their definition?
8 REPLIES
N/A

The broadband service is always on we are not terminating or cutting off the service it is just the connection that will time out and only if it is not being used. Your ADSL is always on barring line faults and that is not changing
thehatman
Grafter

That is a very good question.

How about "PlusNet Broadband Less" ...

While I understand PlusNet have to implement restrictions on high users of more affordable packages, the new conditions seem to compare badly with other providers and taint the reputaion of what was a very fair and reliable ISP.

Surely "idle time" contradicts the point of broadband... ?
N/A

Just write a script to carry out a keep-alive and do a http get off any website, or better one chosen at random...
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The ADSL is there to be used at any time. Most equipment available is able to connect on demand, so even if the connection times out, most people won't even notice.

Please remember that the connection will only time out if it is idle for more than 30 minutes, it wont just drop in the middle of something.
thehatman
Grafter

"The broadband service is always on we are not terminating or cutting off the service it is just the connection that will time out"

What difference does that make. If you're off you're off. Reconnecting all the time will be a big nuisance - like dial-up in fact....
N/A

What is the problem, just a couple of clicks on the mouse and you are back on again.

I have always disconnected the modem when I am not using the net, you don't get any bandwidth use by noise etc on the line.

To me the difference between dial up and broadband has nothing to do with the way I connect it is all about speed of data transfer.
sym
Dabbler

Using hatboys logic switching your router off would mean that plus net do not offer broadband !

maybe you should change ISP and whinge somewhere else.
LiamM
Grafter

I am now locking this thread.

The original topic is a waste of everyones time and I'm sure Plusnet have an already increased workload due to recent events.

If you wish to discuss the new Terms and Conditions, do so in one of the other threads currently on this topic.