cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will switching to One.Tel cause problems?

N/A

At the moment we are using a BT line, but the parent`s have decided to switch to One.Tel (apparently cheaper).
Will this cause any problems with me Plus.Net broadband? (512k easy start)

Couldent find the best section to put this in so move at will Tongue
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

In Aug 2004, they did not allow ADSL on the line. I'm not sure if that has changed so I suggest you contact oneTel and ask if this is still the case.

[append]
Looking at their website it appears they offer ADSL themselves so it will probably be OK but you need to check if they allow other ISPs to supply ADSL on the line. Check to make sure ADSL will not be disconnected when you switch as you would then have to pay an activation fee again to get ADSL back.
Haylamar
Dabbler

Hi,

When I joined Plus.net in April 2004, I had a BT line but moved to a company called Telco soon after (who assured me my broadband connection would be unaffected) Telco have since been taken over by One.Tel and I've had no problem with my line whatsoever (I too have 512 Easystart) - they haven't even asked me if I have internet access - so hopefully you will be OK.

Although, I do still pay BT for line rental, and One.Tel for calls only, so this may be why I haven't had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Hayley
N/A

I'm with Onetel for all calls (using pre-carrier selection - no box or codes to dial) and it doesn't cause any problems.

From what Onetel told me you can't change your line rental from BT to them (it's a fair bit cheaper) and have broadband on the line - you have to keep paying BT for the line rental. The calls are cheaper tough Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

With Carrier Pre-Selection you shouldn't see any problems moving, however it's always best to get it in writing from One-Tel and BT Retail that it won't affect your ADSL beforehand.
LiamM
Grafter

The only problem with one-tel you'll get mate is they appaling customer service.

My local pub burnt down back in june of this year. Their line went with it also, they didnt sign up to one.tel, but a pushy one.tel salesman did try to get em to sign up a couple of weeks previous. Despite the fact that their BT line actually got completely burnt through and they didnt sign up with One Tel, they received a bill from them a couple of months later detailing calls made from their number.

They tried disputing it but One Tel, when they eventually got through to someone who didnt just cut them off, werent having any of it. It's been to debt collectors, and they have even had bailiffs knocking at their door, which is now thankfully rebuilt.. One Tel still are not budging and the matter is now going to court. I've heard similar hell stories about one tel. And it's very very hard to get away from them.

Just before you sign up to One Tel, have a look at someone like Talktalk or Tele2, for a CPS service, they are pretty good in terms of Customer Support. and price is good also.

Cheers,
Liam
N/A

The best priced service is almost certainly www.1899.com

UK calls free at any time of the day (all you pay is a 3p connection charge for each call). Calls to USA, Canada and some other places also free on the same basis - other countries dirt cheap too!

You have to register and dial 1899 from BT phone or an 0800 no. from cable phone before dialing the number but it's such a good deal!

Even if (like me) you're signed up with Onetel you can still use them! Cheesy
N/A

Thanks for the comments, it seems the 'rents have read similar horror stories about thier customer services earlier and canceld it.

All is well Smiley
Dev
Grafter

The best priced service is almost certainly www.1899.com

! Cheesy

I use both 1899 and 18866, also check out www.ourfavouritecompanies.com to compare prices for overseas calls.