cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will changing to PAYG magically fix my rubbish BB+ speeds

N/A

I'm having a terrible time with my download speeds in the evening on BB+. What is usually 3Mbps+ in the evenings has been running at 100kbps average for the past week. It's the same old story as everyone else, once 4pm comes around the speed just drops off to unusable rates.

I've had enough. I know PN are looking into it but I feel I've waited enough.
Since being switched onto the Tiscali LLU my router can take 3 or more attempts to connect something that never occured when I was on the BT exchange. What makes it worse is I never wanted to be switched onto the LLU in the first place.

So anyway, if I swap to PAYG will it fix my speed issues? Will my referral discounts transfer as well? I currently an average of 2.5GB a month peak and 2GB a month off peak. I don't want to change products still to have a rubbish service from PN.

Or should I just up and leave? Although who knows how hard or costly that will be since I'm on LLU.

Cheers
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

yes
James
Grafter

Hi Greg,

Sounds like you're being hit by 3 problems.

- BB+ peak speeds.

This is something that you'll be aware of our looking into seriously. 100kbps speeds at peak isn't an acceptable user experience.

- Tiscali peak speeds.

Again, something that we're aware of, and Tiscali seem to think that this is related to NTL hardware within their exchanges which is cirrently being investigated.

- Authentication issues.

Not something that I was aware of, and can only suggest that you persevere with this. Of course it's a poor experience and you have my apologies for the inconvenience being caused.

Moving to PAYG will only cure the first problem. You won't notice any change in referrals.
N/A

I'm also getting unacceptable performance during peak times and it's been ongoing for at least 1 month now with no resolution from plusnet "support". To give you and idea how bad it has got, now my browser just locks up when I check my email so I can't even read a simple ASCII message.

I just looked at changing providers. Christ what a rip off! Plusnet want to fleece me for £70 to change providers even though I took care to sign up for a monthly contract. This is very misleading and wasn't mentioned at all when I signed up. They said free modem and free connection - so I feel a formal complaint coming on here.

Trying to get phone support is impossible, there's nobody answering! What a waste of time.
N/A

So the BB+ speed issues and Tiscali speed issues spontaneously occured at the same time? What a spot of luck?
Any idea on a timescale for a resolution?

If I was still on the BT exchange I could see what it's status was. There doesn't seem to be a similar thing for the LLU exchange. So it's just a mystery and I have to sit here and take these rubbish speeds.
James
Grafter

The Tiscali speed issues started prior to the BB+ Peak time problems.
Captain_Digital
Grafter

Im on BB+ to and sufering NON Peak slow speeds too

Previous speed test results:
Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
07-02-2007 11:59:30 518.5
07-02-2007 11:02:55 580.4
07-02-2007 10:57:52 562.3
07-02-2007 10:54:07 1863.7
07-02-2007 10:48:39 16.6
05-02-2007 10:06:09 1087.8
05-02-2007 10:05:35 1045.6
05-02-2007 10:04:53 1011.6
04-02-2007 18:39:55 478.5
27-01-2007 13:55:10 36.6
27-01-2007 13:46:38 140.3
27-01-2007 13:44:07 125.5
17-11-2006 13:54:01 566.9
17-11-2006 13:53:07 416.8
17-11-2006 13:52:11 944.7
17-11-2006 13:51:52 687.8
17-11-2006 12:18:25 945.3
13-11-2006 14:38:03 1100.6
13-11-2006 14:37:25 1153.3
12-11-2006 00:13:10 913

The above from plusnet speed tester

There is an open ticket at present!!
lingbob
Grafter

Hi Greg,

Sounds like you're being hit by 3 problems.

- BB+ peak speeds.

Me too.
It's that bad now, I "shut up shop" at 4pm every day.

- Tiscali peak speeds.

N/A in my case.

- Authentication issues.

Not something that I was aware of, and can only suggest that you persevere with this. Of course it's a poor experience and you have my apologies for the inconvenience being caused.

I have intermittent problems with authentication and quite often, the only way I can authenticate is to power down the router for a while and then try again. This is the only solution I've found that works.
N/A

Yep I have been having on/off connecting problem since last June- ish. Having tried most fixes, I was beginning to wonder if there are insufficient 'connections' for all users and I have to wait until someone logs off ... LOL.

When I finally get on I used to exhale a sigh of relief. With the current speeds it is just the start of the frustration.
lingbob
Grafter

Having tried most fixes, I was beginning to wonder if there are insufficient 'connections' for all users and I have to wait until someone logs off ... LOL.

That sums it up quite nicely :shock:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In regard to the BB+ issues, PlusNet admit to making various changes to the network not too long ago to ensure Premier users had their fair share of bandwidth (not sure why that is applicable for Premier in the first place, since the accounts should only differ by usage allowance and what isn't blacklisted).

We then get that they must rule out exchange and localised issues like the PC/Router, despite the fact that one or many of those changes seemed to have affected many BB+ across the whole of the country.

So my theory is: BB+ was fine + various changes are made = many people are having problems with BB+. So therefore where do you think my conclusion lies? The exchange, my PC or PlusNet themselves?

What amazes me is that the issue doesn't seem (whether it actually is or not I don't know of course) to be taken that seriously, and it's taken over a week of so-called daily meetings and it being a P1 problem to still no avail.

Why does it take so long to work out what recent change has screwed the account profiles up?

Being cynical, I would even suggest it is either caused through (a) Incompetence, (b) The network being in such state that such measures are necessary or (c) A ploy to get people to move onto a more profitable account such as PAYG, which 'might' be better.

Oh well, I'll get to try the connection out again tomorrow. I think I can safely assume things will be the same Sad
N/A

So my theory is: BB+ was fine + various changes are made = many people are having problems with BB+. So therefore where do you think my conclusion lies? The exchange, my PC or PlusNet themselves?

What amazes me is that the issue doesn't seem (whether it actually is or not I don't know of course) to be taken that seriously, and it's taken over a week of so-called daily meetings and it being a P1 problem to still no avail.

Why does it take so long to work out what recent change has screwed the account profiles up?

I've come to the same theory, same conclusion, same amazement and same final question.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

And so have I. Why cant PlusNet just reverse the changes ( I presume they back up the old settings just in case something goes wrong), and use the new setting on a test bed. Would that be
1.. So Wrong
2.. So difficult.

Also if the rolled back the changes and ask all BB+ users to reboot, and the problems are solved, voila everyone happy.
If they rolled back the changes and everything is the same, then I would agree a deeper issue is at hand, and it may take some time to track down.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

In regard to the BB+ issues, PlusNet admit to making various changes to the network not too long ago to ensure Premier users had their fair share of bandwidth (not sure why that is applicable for Premier in the first place, since the accounts should only differ by usage allowance and what isn't blacklisted).

There is more of a difference between Premier and Broadband Plus than just that. The way that Broadband Plus is managed is very different to Broadband Plus, it doesn't just have a lower peak time allowance.

We then get that they must rule out exchange and localised issues like the PC/Router, despite the fact that one or many of those changes seemed to have affected many BB+ across the whole of the country.

But as I keep saying, it still has to be done. Just look at the various threads from people reporting speed problems and see how many are down to something other than the Broadband Plus problem. I'm absolutely not saying that it is all of them, but there are a fair number of them and is it right to tell all of these customers "oh yeah, it's a known problem" when if you look into them in more detail it isn't that problem, but something else, and something that we may be able to fix immediately or needs raising with BT.

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, but yes, there is a problem our side but it doesn't mean that every speed problem is caused by that problem.

Crazy analogy time, if there was a flu epidemic and you were coughing and sneezing would just assume you had flu or would you rather have the doctor check you over to ensure it wasn't something else?

Believe me, this is being treated with the utmost importance.

Because that isn't the problem. If it was, then it'd have been fixed already.

The problem is a lot more complicated than just one thing changing that can be rolled back. We've been working on a lot of things over the past few weeks to accomplish a number of aims, to better balance the gateways to lessen the number of authentication errors at peak and to stop gold drops to improve Premier performance as well as to look at silver traffic performance and whole host of other things.

The work to do this again has been done with a number of different things to accomplish different aspects. The broadband firewall for example to help rebalance the platform and block off some background traffic, then there's all the different things we've done to ensure that Premier accounts and PAYG accounts receive the fair share of the bandwidth based on the amount they contribute to the cost.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

And so have I. Why cant PlusNet just reverse the changes ( I presume they back up the old settings just in case something goes wrong), and use the new setting on a test bed.

If it was a simple as that do you not think that it would be? All the changes are logged and stored and only done under very strict change control, the problem, as I say, isn't just down to one of those changes. If it was then it'd be a simple rollback.

We do have a test bed, but no matter how much testing we do on that we can never be 100% completely certain how that will affect a live platform of nearly 200,000 customers. No one can.