cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Modem need upgraded?

N/A

Hi, i have just upgraded my Plusnet package from Broadband Easystart - Broadband Premier 2mb, will i be sent a new modem or will the modem i got with the Easystart package be sufficient. I have a Binatone ADSL 500 modem

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hello there, i am pretty sure your modem would be ok for a 2mbit connection. IIRC all modems can handle atleast a 8mbit download and 400k upload

edit.

hmm i might of been wrong
http://www.valuelist.co.uk/ProductDetailPage.asp?guid=&ticketid=0&productID=3338
N/A

I have that modem and was told it'll operate up to 8mb. It certainly coped with the upgrade from 512 to 1mb.
N/A

craigblack

That page only quotes the speeds that the G.lite standard can support. Right now, only the 512Kb service in the UK will use G.lite to my understading.

Anything over 512Kb, and the modem will swtich to G.DMT mode.

As the product description claims full G.DMT compliance it will support upto 8Mb.

What worries me, is it states "upto 200 times faster than 56Kbps".
Bear in mind, a 512Kb service is supposed to be "10 times faster than ordinary dialup". 56*10 is 560. Thus that statement is correct.
However, 56*200 is 11200, or in laymans terms, 11Mb.

The G.DMT standard does not support anything above 8Mb.
N/A

hi Philip, thanks for correcting me Shockedops:
Community Veteran

craigblack

However, 56*200 is 11200, or in laymans terms, 11Mb.

Yes, but 56K never gave you 56K.

8Mb/s / 200 = 40Kb/s - which is much closer to real world 56K performance.
N/A

Another thorn to it though. 8Mb will not mean 8Mb usable.

8Mb will be the sync speed of the connection, whereas the data transfer will only get to about 7Mb.
N/A

Not to mention contention etc Wink
N/A

An interestign thread on contention is available HERE

Kitz from the Usergroup is suffering (yet again) with contention issue, above and beyond those that anybody should see.

She is once again single handedly attempting to fight BT on it, and by the looks of things, push for a much better system in which faults can be handled and prevent the push-pull that BTW, BTR and ISPs are doing.