cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get a speed increase?

LiamM
Grafter

The line limits are not yet certain. But I would personally say that if you;re currently limited to 1Mb, you're unlikely to get higher.

Do you know what your line stats are? (Attenuation / Loss - SNR / Margin)
13 REPLIES
N/A

I got the Service Update email from PlusNet today saying "You will get a free upgrade to faster speeds, if your line will support them."

I'm currently paying for Premier 2Mb, but only get 1Mb, due to BT assessment of my line's capability setting my account to 1Mb.

When my exchange goes 8Mb capable, will the changes affect my lines capability to support >1Mb or will I be stuck on 1Mb anyway.

Cheers, Darren.
shellsong
Grafter

Do you know what your line stats are? In particular the downstream speed, attenuation and SNR you normally get
Edit: Snap! :lol:
Community Veteran

If you are only just under the limits for 2mb then there is a chance that you could see your line sync at 1.5mb or just possibly the full 2mb.
The system is supposed to work so that it automatically adjusts itself in 0.5mb steps up to whatever rate it sees is still stable between you and the exchange.
So until your exchange is actualy set up for MaxDSL its a matter of wait and see.
N/A

Then again there is the chance that your router reports perfectly fine figures for 2mb, but as in my case, BT simply refuse toupgrade based on the fact that their 'records show you will not be able to sustain the higher speeds' ... because they refuse to actually TEST the line and just go on the figures that tell them distance etc...

Not that I'm bitter or anything... we shall see what happens WHEN the upgrade happens, although I'm thinking it will be some time off yet. My 'June' upgrade last year actually took place in November from what I can tell!

/rant off
N/A

Do you know what your line stats are? (Attenuation / Loss - SNR / Margin)

I use a Binatone 3 LED "Easystart" USB modem, so don't know my stats.

If I borrow a router, is it easy enough to setup for PlusNet, get my stats and then re-setup my Binatone?

Darren
N/A

I understood from reading around the various sites that MaxDSL is going to be much more concerned with downstream SNR than attenuation. Therefore a line without a lot of noise can sync at much higher speeds than the attenuation. I am currently limited to 1mb because I have an attenuation of 49, but an SNR of 25 suggests something much higher is possible. I was being given an estimate of about 6 meg on this tool:

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

It seems from what some of you are saying that is unlikely? Have I misunderstood something here? :? Will have to look at moving to an LLU provider if I end up still on 1meg after the upgrades are rolled out.
shellsong
Grafter

Presumably you have a Binatone ADSL500 Modem and kittz gives info for getting your stats from it here on her site Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

@phewes
I'd have thought 6Mbps should definitely be on for you with MaxDSL or ADSL2+ if that SNR is reasonably stable Wink
N/A

Presumably you have a Binatone ADSL500 Modem and kittz gives info for getting your stats from it here on her site Smiley

Bugger, it was available all the time, many thanks. So what does it all mean? Should I be stuck on 1Mb?

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 28.0 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 52.4 27.5 dB
Errored Seconds 122 15
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 332 33
Data Rate 1152 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Darren
Community Veteran

well the limit for Line Attenuation for 2mb is 45 dB and as you can see you are over that so unfortunatly you are stuck on 1mb
Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

First two figures are the important ones, especially the downstream (which will be used to get your download speed). SNR is the signal to noise ratio, higher the better as it measures the strength of your signal to other noises. Attenuation is the degree to which the signal has weakened from your exchange to your modem, this number you want as low as possible. The higher the attenuation the weaker the signal and therefore indicating a good distance from the exchange (BT currently require 43 or lower for 2meg). If you feed your downstream Attenuation and SNR into the link I provided earlier in the thread and it will give you a ball park figure for MaxDSL.
shellsong
Grafter

@otherwayup
As things stand it BTw would reject upgrade to 2Mbps on their assessment of your downstream attenuation but your SNR looks as though you could get perhaps 6 or 7Mbps using MaxDSL or ADSL2+ Wink
N/A

Thanks for everyones help and roll on MaxDSL. The future looks bright Cool .
Darren.