cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I ever be able to get more then 1Mb with Plusnet?

N/A

Hi all,

Im currently on 1Mb with Plusnet, and I would like to know if I will ever be able to get 2Mb from Plusnet (IPstream products) :?

My line stats acording to my router (Speedtouch 510), are as follows:

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 52.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 26.0

From BT's availability checker:

"Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service."

Basically 1Mb is just too slow thses days, especially after having 4Mb working fine on the same line from UkOnline. Will BT ever raise the limits? Or do I currently still have a chance to get 2Mb with Plusnet? Or do I have to start looking at LLU providers again for more relaxed line limits.

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Looking at those attenuation figures I believe it would be unlikely that you would be able to receive 2Mbit/s.

Not sure you'd get more than that with LLU providers.

Sorry, not the answer you were looking for.

Leigh
Alecto
Grafter

I wouldn't worry about the availability checker. BT said exactly that about mine, and I'm on 2Mb quite happily with no engineer visit required.

Your attenuation is quite a bit over the 45 limit for 2Mb, but your SNR is high which could compensate for that a bit. My own attenuation is about 47, but SNR only 18, so I'd have thought it worth having a crack at 2Mb if they'd put a manual regrade in for you.
N/A

Hi mate

I have nearly exactly the same figures as you and currently have an order in to regrade to 2mb so I'll let you know how I get on, fingers crossed !!

To be honest your line would comfortably run 2mb with a SNR figure like that, its just whether BT wholesale will put the order through or not......
N/A

BT operate on a policy of stability rather than usability.

This is great in that there are going to be less line level faults. It is poor as in cases like this, it can be proven that lines support faster speeds.

At 56dB though, even if BT increased the limits, it would be unlikely they would be in spec for 2Mb
N/A

Hi xe100,

I had almost identical stats to you (slightly better by 1 or 2 on both downstream attenuation and SNR) and, unfortunately, I got a knock-back. I raised a ticket in the hope that it would go through on a manual regrade but that got knocked back too (when PN's woosh test only confirmed that my line stats were accurate)
N/A

So everyone thinks is worth trying to raise a ticket for a "manual regrade" to 2Mb? The thing is I know my line can easily support 2Mb, as I have already had 4Mb down and 0.5Mb up (LLU ADSL) on it, and it was working great Cheesy So 2Mb should be a breeze. Its BT that seems to be the problem. Does anyone know if they plan to raise the line limits for 2Mb when say 8Mb (IPstream/BT product) etc comes out?
N/A

If you ask me SNR is far more important than attenuation. At 27db now on 1mb it will probably drop to around 18-20 if you are upgraded to 2mb.
This is still plenty high enough to run a stable 2mb.

I can understand BT wanting to set 2mb limits well within what the actual "real" limits are but this is now like 2 -3 years old.

If you ask me it seems to be who gets the job to do your regrade at BT Wholesale, i.e. a lottery ! I have read a lot of ISP forums on this subject, one in particular is the F2S support forum. On that there are lots of people with up to 55db attenuation with an SNR of 15 + how are comfortably running 2mb.

What I want to know is why do some 2mb regrades go through when the line is out the supposed limits, and then person number two comes along with the same stats and gets rejected ?
N/A

FWIW, different makes of modem/router will give a different noise readout. You might be able to reduce your noise by testing other kit. My Netgear DG824M was adding a whopping 12dB of noise to my 38dB line so my woosh test reported it as a 50dB line.

Simon