Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wierd browsing problem

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wierd browsing problem

Anyone having probles with their connection this morning.

I can connect with Outlook and get emails etc ok.

I cannot connect with Internet Explorer. It just sits there with the egg timer turning over and over and then times out with a 'not responding' error.

I cannot connect with my download manager. Just says the Mandriva server is not responding.

But I can connect with Mozilla (I'm using it to write this) and access pages, web sites etc, but very slow.

I have tried rebooting both the computer and the router but nothing changed.

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES
Pendragon
Rising Star

Wierd browsing problem

It's OK I seem to have fixed it.

I found I could access any site from my 'Favorites' drop down list but if I clicked the drop down list on the Address bar IE would stop responding.

I cleared the history files and all now seems OK. I guess the history list had become corrupt or something.

Such is the joy of computers.

Sorry to waste any time.
N/A

Wierd browsing problem

Hi wearehere,

This sounds abit like it could be a dirty DNS cache or ARP cache on your machine locally. Yes! a reboot to both computer & or router would clear/clean the DNS resolve cache and also would reset your routing tables held with the router. Thus you would get access restored as a result. This kind of thing happens to me from time to time, so I think its a pretty common problem.

**Definately worth checking that you do have the correct & recommended IP's for the DNS server/s (here at F9, that is there DNS primary, seconardy & teritary servers).

**you can check on your own machine by openning a DOS or CMD window and then typing at the prompt IPCONFIG /ALL (NOTE: there needs to be a space between config and the /all). This will give you all the TCP/IP information inc the DNS servers the machine is referencing when doing DNS lookups.

**You can flush the DNS resolver cache manually by typing in the following command IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

**Apologues if you know all this anyway!!?

[Foot note] Just noticed that F9 have had problems with web mail so this might also be related to your problem/s?

Ivan
Pendragon
Rising Star

Wierd browsing problem

Many thanks for your input Ivan. helpful as always Smiley .

I did happen to notice the manual DNS flush in another thread this morning just after I managed to get connected with Mozilla so I ran that as well just to be on the safe side.

Everything seems fine this evening (had visitors today so been off line most of the afternoon), just another one of those gremlins again.

Must remember not to splash the water :lol: (if you have seen the film you know what I mean).

Regards, Colin.