cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wierd Start page

N/A

Wierd Start page

Just turned on the computer and connected this morning, and instead of my usual startup page (Yahoo) I got this BT wholesale thing come up, giving me reasons why I was showing it. I was either testing my connection...no.... or a few other different reasons, any ideas?

All i did was shut the router down, and then restart, and its fine
21 REPLIES
N/A

Wierd Start page

It was similar here, except mine had been on all night but could not access the internet this morning. I disconnected the line for about half an hour, then restarted and got the BT page - restarted again and it was OK.
Looks like something went pear-shaped at about 4AM.

(also reported here)
N/A

Wierd Start page

yeah, just noticed a similar post in the PN NG!!! lol, oh well, its working now!!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Wierd Start page

We had some problems with one of our 622 pipes. Please see Service Status for more info.
N/A

Wierd Start page

The weirdest start page i ever got was this one directing me to Plusnet. It said i got to this page because of a possible worm infection or something. I find that service of Plusnet's very helpful, didn't know Plusnet monitored your traffic for worm infections ,although that time it was a false alarm i ran the worm traffic on purpose using a virus simulator seeing if my firewall could detect it, but it couldn't and Plusnet did :shock:
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Wierd Start page

We don't really monitor the traffic, you get that message if your connection sends anything out on port 135. most of the time this is a virus of some sort, so we redirect browsing to the page that you mentioned.

Some applications do use this port (older versions of MS Exchange for example) so you can get false alarms.
N/A

Wierd Start page

We had some problems with one of our 622 pipes. Please see Service Status for more info.

no worries mate, all I did was a re boot of the router, and that was it, QUITE happy lol, only inquiring through sheer nosiness lol, never saw it before!!, I did actually at one point think, OOH! 8mb lol, but nah, no such luck, guess anglesey will have to wait a while lol, thanks for the quick reply anyways!
N/A

Problem still there

It seems the connection (pipe 622?) problem is still there! I have reset the router on a number of occasions this morning. Its seems to fix the problem for a few minutes but loses connection.

Anyone else still struggling?
N/A

Wierd Start page

have you tried what it said on the status page and left your router off for 15 minutes?
N/A

Wierd Start page

Yes I have - for 30mins in one case. It seems to be up at the moment, is definitely intermittant - perhaps I just need to let it 'settle'
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Wierd Start page

If customers do continue to experience issues with the BT Wholesale page, it can sometimes help to specify your DNS server addresses manually in your network card properties. Any of the following can be used:-

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Wierd Start page

Interesting. I was originally given two DNS servers to use. Does this mean I can use the option to "Get Automatically from ISP" or change to the ones suggested? I have terrible trouble with BT Wholesale 194.74.65.98 page.
Community Veteran

Wierd Start page

Specify 2 out of the 4 above within your router or Windows rather than getting it automatically. This then reduces the likelyhood of the problem occuring.
N/A

Wierd Start page

Many thanks. I've done that and all is working well at the moment.

I assume my originally assigned servers are over-capacity then?!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Wierd Start page

Not quite.

What happens sometimes is that if the connection is a little slow in being established, it is assigbned DNS servers by BT's RADIUS instead of ours. These BT servers are configured to point all requests to the service status page. By setting the DNS servers manually in your router this doesn't happen because it doesn't request DNS from anyone.