cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wierd Problems with my Broadband

N/A

Sorry, I only have about 5 minutes until my taxi gets here, so i do not have time to search for an answer to this. I have been having this problem on and off for a few days, but jusr recently it has got worse, before I kept having tor restart my router, but now that does not work....

Can any one tell me why my broadband is working for some webpages, but not others?

I am getting "invalid syntax" coming up on some webpages but not others.

Also, google works but when I click on any page from the results it just comes up with a 'cannot find website' type message.

Plus, my MSN Messenger cannot connect and it reports a port access problem, but I have enabled all ports. Some of my other programs can still connect fine, like Skype, but my anti-virus program can also not get a connection to its update download website.

This seems really weird as some stuff works and some does not. Plus.net have not responded to any of my support requests.

This problem was gone when i got up this morning, but came back again at about 8PM

Is this me, or is it Plus, just want to know, as I am on the verge of reinstalling windows incase it is my fault.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Mark
9 REPLIES
N/A

N/A

Don't reinstall windows... (well actually it might be an idea but not for this problem Wink )

PN are having, to put it delicately, network issues at the moment some of which are internal to PN and some are external - DNS yesterday had a major glitch or two within L3's network (used for the majority of transatlantic links etc) and by the look of some of the odd dns responses I'm getting for known good sites the issues are still rumbling on...
passer
Grafter

Don't reinstall Windows!!
It's been a bad weekend on the network, and there are some outstanding problems. Get your taxi, and hope it's fixed by tomorrow. Smiley
N/A

I thought that was about disconnects, my line seems to stay connected now but only some things work and not others, is this a known issue too?
N/A

Yep, DNS still seems to be somewhat fubar'd....
N/A

At least I am not the only, although I dont mean that in a bad way!

On the bright side I will be out whilst the problem persists.

I was just wondering if people had this strange "some things work and some things dont" kind of issues. - Is this what is meant by DNS, as I am new to all this Wink
N/A

And jsut as I go out, it is working again - typical!

But for how long!

.... oh taxis here - I hope you all get sorted, thanks guys!
N/A

It could well be - DNS is akin to a phone book in that it takes the nice name you've typed in (say www.google.co.uk) and translates that to an IP address. If the lookup fails for any reason then you can not connect to the site you wanted using its name... so some sites will work (the ones which resolve) and some won't (the ones that the dns for what ever reason can not return a valid address for).
passer
Grafter

@solstans

does that imply a CSS failure, where addresses are getting dumped, maybe due to a keepalive fault?