cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would you recommend PlusNet ?

N/A

I used to hold Plus Net in high regard, religiously comparing ISPs on adslguide.org, I finally took the plunge and went with PlusNet. They provided a cost effective broadband service that worked, and a good online management portal and reasonable technical support if there was ever a problem.

To this end I was happy, and happily recommended friends and family to use Plus Net. I even recommended it on a professional level to peers and colleagues within the company of which I work, and I even used it as the package of choice for our homeworkers.

Things have changed considerably since then, firstly it was the usage policy and the changing of the terms and conditions. I found myself not receiving the product I had signed up for and regularly enjoyed. I paid £29.99 for broadband premier which was unlimited. This is not the case now, and I find my broadband speed intermittent at the best of times.

Even now, on my 2Mbps service, i'm receiving 1Mbps service. Apparently there is a fault with PlusNet's main pipe. However all the while i'm still paying for a service i'm not receiving. To air my dissatisfaction I tried to call customer service, and then I tried to call support. On every option of phone options I chose, i was directed to the online portal and could not speak to a person about the poor service I am receiving.

That's not the whole story, I can forgive speed issues due to genuine faults, I can forgive being on hold for 45 mins to have the call cut off. However what I can't forgive are this two pertinent issues.

1. Plus Net contacted me to let me know I could receive 4Mbps service when my local exchange is updated. Therefore I continued to pay £29.99 for a 2Mbps services, when at this time it had been reduced to £21.99. I hadn't been informed of the price readjustment, but i thought since i would be receiving 4Mbps i'll leave the payments as they are. The 4Mbps didn't happen, and still to this day haven't happened. Yet I had paid for that service several months after the 'promise' it would be in place. I was not to be compensated, or that deemed relevant to PlusNet.

2. I signed up orginally for a monthly contract, as it gave me the flexibility to cancel and so-forth. However upon signing up it said to me, you can have a FREE USB Modem, for an additional £5. I didn't need a modem, however I felt it'd be useful to have in the department as a spare for homeworkers so I went ahead and purchased it. In addition, I was of the understanding that the £75 activation fee was deferred for the year, and that's why i made the decision to do a monthly contract. 18 Months down the line, i learn that if i choose to cancel my account, £20 is due for the FREE USB Modem, and my actual activation cost has been deferred over 3 Years! and not 1 year as stipulated when I signed up.

In summary you can see my dissatisfaction, being over charged, receiving less service then what i signed up for, having the terms and conditions changed on me, and now being stung for defferred activation costs and a USB modem. The general consensus with PlusNet amongst my friends and family, and colleagues is that they provide poor service. And to that end, I shall be cancelling my subscription to Plus Net. In addition I will be actioning the cancellation of accounts with my friends and family and personally paying the deferred activation fees. In addition I shall be reporting my experience to the office of fair trading, with copies of my original sign up sales literature and the exit fees I am paying now. As it is clear, I have been mislead on several occassions, and have continued to pay for a service that deteriorated over time, and had clauses put in that beared a direct cost to myself.

This thread may be anecdotal to some, and may not reflect everyone's experience. If it is to be censored or moved, that I hope it is placed in it's correct location and PlusNet allow all to see. Despite my experience, at the core is being valued as a customer, given my experience, i feel i have been exploited.

Lewis Sheridan
16 REPLIES
N/A

I have recommended Plusnet to about 10 people during the last couple of years. Some of them signed up as proper referrals, some didn't.

Since the service and performance of the Plusnet network has changed from excellent to just plain abysmal I am migrating myself away from Plusnet and will advise any and all of the people I referred to do the same.

It's a shame really, as Plusnet used to be such a good ISP.

Oh incidentally, I too was overcharged for about four months when the Premier service price went down from £39.99 to £21.99. It wasn't until I called them myself to complain that my payments were reduced, with no sign of compensation for the additional charges. I was told in no uncertain terms that it is not their policy to inform customers of price reductions. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people paying £39.99 for Premier 1 right now....
Alecto
Grafter

If you do not have problems with your connection, then you don't need to contact Pn or get them to help you.
Thus you won't be affected by the high response times to tickets and phone calls.
Thus your whole experience will be a good one (as mine is).

The only other ISPs I've had experience of are Freeserve, Tesco and Tiscali, all of whom deserve to be beaten senseless. I know that Pn customer service is none too hot at the moment, but suspect that they are no worse than most.

But as I said, it all depends on if you've had problems or not.
Without problems, I'd recommend Plusnet every time. And if I hadn't looked at these forums, I wouldn't even be aware of the problems of others.
N/A

I think that pretty much sums up Plus Net now. I spent a lot of time choosing an ISP as like the previous post mentioned, none of them are 100%. I think however that shouldn't undermine us as consumers, since we can appreciate that it's very hard to deliver exceptional service. But when issues of non-obligation to inform customers of reduced charges for a product - shows emphasis on new customers and not retaining the loyalty of existing customers who have been in every part contributory to the success of Plus Net. The activities we've both have experience are dubious at best - that is why I feel compelled to report them to the trading standards authority.

I didn't bother entering my referrals, as i'm not hell bent on saving money, i will pay a good price for a good service. I'm sorry to say I pay a mediocre price for a mediocre service. Nothing in my mind distinguishes Plus Net from other ISPs.
N/A

Sorry sleep so didnt read all that

and too angry to take off caps lock now

im embarrased to have recommended plus.net to my friends

very bad Sad

refunds should be coming in soon

Moderators note by Chris: All caps post altered. This is considered to be very rude and against the forum rules. I won't alter them in future no matter how angry you are. They will be removed.
suec45
Grafter

I would still recommend PLusnet - just.

If I get a problem (only had 2 in the time I have been with them) they have sorted it relatively quickly.

Good speeds for what I want. I only download off peak and play games and browse at peak times. Suits me fine.

Compared to my earlier ISP - Talktalk, Plusnet are streets ahead. TT were APPALLING.

Although they have pushed it lately, PN arestill good in my book. But if they get much worse I would stop recommending them altoghter, its got pretty close recently with a few problems for a lot of people. Hopefully we should be seeing things get beter now that the Ellacoyas are properly installed and they have got past the introducing of caps and throttling.

If things stay as they are and start to get better, I will be happy to keep recommending them.

If they get any worse, I will have to think about jumping ship and stop recommending them.
N/A

I have recommended Plusnet to about 10 people during the last couple of years. Some of them signed up as proper referrals, some didn't.

Since the service and performance of the Plusnet network has changed from excellent to just plain abysmal I am migrating myself away from Plusnet and will advise any and all of the people I referred to do the same.

Oh incidentally, I too was overcharged for about four months when the Premier service price went down from £39.99 to £21.99. It wasn't until I called them myself to complain that my payments were reduced, with no sign of compensation for the additional charges. I was told in no uncertain terms that it is not their policy to inform customers of price reductions. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people paying £39.99 for Premier 1 right now....

That is everything i wanted to say but didnt know how tp put it. Great post..
N/A

I would recommend PlusNet without hesitation .... to someone I really disliked who I wished to experience the pit of misery I've had for the past month.
N/A

hehehe

comedy timing

at 14kbps
N/A

I too fell foul of the reduced price/no notification trap... and have found out today that a company that I consult for have also ben overpaying for the past goodness knows how many months.

A while ago, I WAS going to change from home to business account, but was told that this would be a new annual contract, and thus tied for 12 more months. Even though the help files said that changing product wouldn't affect contract length... But Plusnet found a way to weasel around that rule by saying that didn't apply to changing from residential to business.

So here I am trying to leave (LLU Mac row ongoing). Instead of getting MORE revenue from me for the service, guess what - they're going to get less. And I'm not being shy in letting people know of the expierences I've had.
N/A

The answer is simple, cancel your subscription and just leave. They obviously have a lot of problems just scanning this forum, noone is proactively picking up and resolving those issues. Unfortunately PlusNet have been a victim of their own success, getting far too big to care. But when their loyal customers begin leaving in their droves, the market is fickle, and they will get good again under lower volume. This is distgusting customer service in my opinion, I called through to cancel my account and at every option the phone hung up and steered me to do the online wizard. On doing that, my ticket still has not been responded too. We are all reasonable people on here I feel, yet the service, or lack off is shoddy and poor. I hope these posts, get to the person who is responsible for customer service for Plus Net Ltd. and they can have a look at what went wrong, and hopefully not make the same mistakes again. Implicating your existing customer to continue on the same product and associating a cost at every given opportunity is not the smart way to do business.

All the best, Lewis
N/A

The answer is simple, cancel your subscription and just leave.

Been there, done that. Finally got me cease date confirmed for the 20th Sept. I have also spoken to three of the eight referrals on my account to warn them about the service levels they can expect (or not), should they have any issues. Ultimately it's up to them whether they stay with Plusnet or not, but at least I've given them some advance warning...
N/A

ohhhhh..you are so lucky..a confirmed date to escape!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just asked for my contract to be canceled as they wont give an llu mac its all i can do....any ideas how it works..im on monthly..does that mean they require 30 days notice the next payment should be adjusted to reflect the reduced time..or do you have to pay your next billing date and have your service ceased 30 days after that?
N/A

To be honest I'd rather not guess when you will be able to get a cease date. I was billed on the 13th & my cease date was confirmed on the same day to be the 20th, but having said that I did originally ask for it on the 1st Sept.

It's all a bit of a grey area unfortunately.

Take a look at the blog I set up specially to log all the steps I've been through so far...
N/A

their conditions says:

23.1 This Agreement can be ended by:

23.1.2 you giving one month's notice to us.

23.5 If you have paid any Charges for a period after the end of the Agreement we will either repay it or put it towards any money you owe us

26. Notices

26.1 Any party wishing to give notice to the other under this Agreement must use one of the following mechanisms. No other form of communication will be accepted, unless specifically stated otherwise in this agreement:

26.1.1 To us: using the Help Assistant tool at www.plus.net or in writing to:

PlusNet Plc
Technology Building
Terry Street
Sheffield
S9 2BU
UK

26.2 Any notice given by the Help Assistant tool or by email shall be deemed to be served on the day of transmission. In the case of written postal notice, notice shall be deemed to have been served on the date of acceptance by signature of the recorded delivery or 2 Working Days after the date of posting, whichever is sooner.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
so in my case notice was served by help assistant. Then one month later they have no right to charge anything and they must refund that part of the last charge that no longer applies if within that month. Now as long as they drop the line its fine. But its hard to have any confidence that anything will go smoothly with the current plusnet.