cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why throttle usenet off peak?

N/A

OK, 15GB limit fine but when you pass that limit why are usenet downloads throttle 24/7 an not just peak-time?

As far as I'm concerned peak time throttling is fine, protect the network against this months definition of the "1%" nasty bandwidth using users but I find continuing the throttle during off-peak totally unacceptable.

Please explain.
4 REPLIES
N/A

I can see where Plusnet are coming from from a business point of view. You have 1% of your customers using the bandwidth of 15% of customer (for example). So get rid of the 1% free up more bandwidth to take on more normal useage customers without the need to upgrage the network infrastructure and incure additional cost. The company wants to get as many normal useage accounts setup using the bandwidth is has. I like to do the same with my hosting I provide to clients.

Why dont plusnet simply change their t&c's to say that high useage users should look elsewhere, and then let all high useage users leave plusnet without any charge whatsoever, no defered activation fees, no paying contract off etc, because if the 1% are gone, then plusnet are free to sign up more normal useage customers and make even more money from the free bandwidth, so by getting rid of the 1% it would make business sense.

Instead, the 1% are paying their defered activation fees, or paying off their contract, so plusnet make that money (apart from the activation fee which just covers the initial setup), then they are going to make even more money from the new customers they sign up.

So in simple terms, plus net can fit maybe 10-20 clients (or more) into the same bandwidth that was being used by the client in the 1%.
N/A

The explanation is that they are protecting the network from the news leechers.

Thats it, vote with your feet and leg it!
N/A

I would, but I've just bought a house and simply cant spare the 60 quid to pay my activation fee, so I'm stuck here until I have some free cash.
Community Veteran

Locked in favour of this thread.

Chris

Editted to fix link.