cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the big throttle?

N/A

Why the big throttle?

I thought my torrents had slowed down over the past few weeks but not had time to look into it?

I used to max out or get around 200KB/s speeds before peak time easily, downloading now from a site I have used for over a year and it's maxing out at 50KB/s on a 2mb connection, all speed tests to exchange are excellent!

Added:
149 seeds / 8 peers , my port is forwarded etc ;-)

Is my bandwidth being robbed to support this Voip stuff?
I thought Premier throttling was not noticable?

Cheers
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Why the big throttle?

How much have you downloaded this billing period (peak & off-peak) and when is your billing date?
N/A

Why the big throttle?

Thanks for help Smiley

Peak: 3.78GB
Usage this month: 9.45GB

Billing date 9th.

cheers
Community Veteran

Why the big throttle?

Neither figure should cause a reduction of speed (Some traffic shaping occurs on Premier as detailed in the vision thread), but not what you are seeing.

Try the BT Speed tester to eliminate any exchange contention issues.

If the speed increases after midnight then it could indicate traffic shaping is the cause though.
N/A

Why the big throttle?

Contention is not a problem at the moment, I did mention speed tests where good (very good actually ;-)

You say test after midnight, but it's not yet 4pm, I thought peak management started at 1600GMT?

Thanks for the help Peter.
Community Veteran

Why the big throttle?

P2P/Usenet/FTP peak time is now 8am to midnight (although the VMBU has not been updated to show this yet) as detailed in the vision thread.
N/A

Why the big throttle?

OMG, that is a some peak time Smiley

All http speeds etc are fine, all speed tests are showing 230KB/s bandwidth, so it's just my torrents.

Anyho, just tried some Knoppix torrents and I seem to have a 55KB/s limit, I will need to wait and see if I am awake outside peak ( although thats getting difficult with the new times ;-) and see what speeds I get then. It seems pointless paying for Premier when I am getting Plus speeds ;-)

cheers
N/A

Why the big throttle?

Bob,

If you want to do a BT speed test ( although I know you have done ) during off peak hours ( IE after midnight ) but dont want to stay awake for it, then take a look at my SIG.

There is a link in there with a download attached. Simply set it up and leave it to run for the night and view the results in the morning.

Hope it helps Smiley

Regards,
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Why the big throttle?

@masondsl

I got someone to check what profile you should be on, you were on the wrong profile. I have just changed your profile to the correct one, happy surfing.
N/A

Why the big throttle?

Thanks for fixing that Carl, now getting 215KB/s Cheesy

@tom, thanks have downloaded auto test and will use in future, cheers
jagger
Grafter

Why the big throttle?

@masondsl

I got someone to check what profile you should be on, you were on the wrong profile. I have just changed your profile to the correct one, happy surfing.

Carl,
Can I ask how many people might be affected in this way?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Why the big throttle?

@jagger

We're running a script to ensure that users that should be on a clean profile are, a quick check shows that there are not many incorrectly profiled (less than 20).
Community Veteran

Why the big throttle?

Does that exclude all the ones you are ignoring... Like mine for the past 10 days!!! Evil
___oDiN__
Grafter

Why the big throttle?

is it just me or are these scripts a joke?

not running, not running correctly, running but running late, sometimes hours even days according to some and yet again to port the plusnet phrase "the vast majority" dont know about the forums so will have no idea as to what is wrong or what is happening and would end up putting up with it or having to ring cs up for ideas which cannot be productive. i wonder if this yet another plusnet ploy to squeeze extra bw out of people by delaying resets so the users cannot use higher bw
jagger
Grafter

Why the big throttle?

Thanks Carl.

Any way for a user to detect if this happening to his connection?

Or,any tell tale signs that this may be the case?

Just a thought.