cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the better deal for PAYG Customers?

N/A

I'm not complaining at all (I'm on PAYG), but a friend is going to start with Plusnet soon, and it seems that on Broadband Plus she would have to pay £24.99 to get 4Mb speeds and for 8Mb it would be £34.99.

Meanwhile new Pay As You Go customers will get the faster speeds free.

Can someone explain the thinking behind this please?
4 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

I don't work for PN but it seems to me that the costs are based upon a number of things including providing a conneciton and providing a network the carry the traffic.

Since PAYG customers pay for the volume of data moved the connection speed doesn't affect the underlying costs much (if at all). further, with a higher connection speed PN may be able to sell more transit to the PAYG customer....

BB+ customers don't pay for usage.... but would be able to transfer more with a higher speed connection.
N/A

Sorry, going to have to connect you, with the BB+/Premier accounts really the fact the products are named by different speeds is completely irrelevant the only point in those is higher data transfer, all that happerns when 8Mbps comes out is that the 2Mbps people are upgraded and the names change to 8Mbps, 16Mbps and 24Mbps usage limits and prices remains the same as the previous 2Mbps, 4Mbps and 8Mbps products as they are currently named.
N/A

I'm talking about new customers. Have a look and see how much they'll have to pay for higher speeds (you'd have to used a browser without the plusnet cookie on it).
Start to sign up and you will see the prices, e.g. £39.99 for a Premier Account with 8Mbps.

But I think I understand now, from Agora's explanation.
N/A

I'm talking about new customers.

Start to sign up and you will see the prices, e.g. £39.99 for a Premier Account with 8Mbps.

You'll probably find that those costs will drop when 8Mb becomes a reality. Articles flying around the board quoting free upgrades at the end of March for those on Premier (misnomer THAT!) to 8Mb for the same fee of £21.99.