cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so slow?

N/A

Why so slow?

Hi,

Just got broadband in my village so hooked up to Plus Net in my office on the Plus Net Broadband Premier scheme hoping for a <2Mb connection. So far I have not seen better than 1.1Mbps Sad

My concern is that for my wife I installed a cheaper, lower use broadband connection from Wanadoo and that has a constant 2.2Mbps connection. Same house, 2 seperate BT lines.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

TIA
11 REPLIES
StuWard
Grafter

Why so slow?

1.1 suggests that you line can support no more than that speed, thats what i am running on. Have you done a Line check on the BT website to see what speed your line can support ?

Your wifes connection, that is on a seperate phone line, is that the newer of the 2 lines ?

Seems very strange

Stu
N/A

Why so slow?

Could be that 1 line falls within the 2Mb limits and the other doesn't.
N/A

Why so slow

The newer line is mine but was an ISDN set up until last week. The BT engineer said it had only been set up by Plus Net to be 1Mb.

My wife's (home) line was a dacs split but is now back to just one. I'll try the BT site to see what I can find out.

Thanks for the input.
Community Veteran

Why so slow?

Could you give us th attenuation and SNR of your line?
Community Veteran

Why so slow?

Ive got to ask but why on earth do you want two lines both with ADSL to the same address ?

Surely just one line with a router to allow thye two PC's to use the ADSL connection to one ISP would be far less costly?

Perhaps you have a good reason but I'm at a loss to see it.
N/A

Why so slow?

"Could you give us th attenuation and SNR of your line"

Errr.. How do I find those out?

In answer to the router question.... I live in an old Devon cottage with walls 2+ feet thick and my "office" position 25 metres from the main does not have line of site to the other connection either.

Martin
Community Veteran

Why so slow?

Ok with walls that thick radio is probably out of the question but but cables dont have to pass through 2ft thick walls. They could go though the edge of the window frame and then run along the outside of the building.
This would save you a fair bit on your monthly bills instead of paying for 2 lines and 2 ISPs.
N/A

Why so slow?

@johnessex

Hi i have 2 lines and 2 adsl premier accounts, reason i got 2 lines in is that i got 2 sons who use the phone a lot and was fed up of waiting to use it myself.lol

As for the 2 adsl accounts i was with another ISP whos service was excellent as far as i was concerned only thing was cost £39.99pm 2meg, and i was not makeing use of the service ie as in d/l allowance etc , but what was happening was that me and my sons play online games and d/s a small amount , and being connected to the same adsl meant we where having great pings if one of us was playing and none d/l but of course if 2 of us was playing or one of each then it was difficult to play some games,

so after weighing eveything up im now got 2 adsl lines for only £4 more pm than what i was paying for the 1 adsl line, which at the time seemed pretty good,
But most of the time with plusnet its hard to do any d/l or online gaming at speed. with just 1 of us on each adsl line, i should have stuck with old ISP methinks, but ahwell things can only get better,

thxs
N/A

Why so slow?

Ive got to ask but why on earth do you want two lines both with ADSL to the same address ?
We used to with 2 x 512k's (before the days of 1 & 2Mbit), then load balanced them. If you need the extra capacity then it's the easy thing to do. Smiley
Probably do it again with 2 x 2Mbit when BT/plusnet fix our loss of sync when it rains/drizzles/is damp problem. Sad
N/A

Why so slow?

The other advantage of having two lines is you have 2x256Kb uplinks. There are some ISP's which allow you to bind the lines together (e.g. Zen) but the kit isn't cheap.

I've had experience of doing Admin on Windows Server boxes via ADSL and it can be slow with the limited uplink (particularly if other people are using the connection).
N/A

Why so slow?

We used to with 2 x 512k's (before the days of 1 & 2Mbit), then load balanced them. If you need the extra capacity then it's the easy thing to do. Smiley
Probably do it again with 2 x 2Mbit when BT/plusnet fix our loss of sync when it rains/drizzles/is damp problem. Sad

You'll be lucky to get 2 x 2Mb with Plusnet atm. 2 x 512 is more likely what you'll get now.