cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so much PHISHing?

DavidHH
Grafter

Why so much PHISHing?

Why is it that so many emails that I receive are tagged [PHISH]?

Some degree of caution is obviously necessary, and perhaps some people living in caves without newspapers, radio or television have not have heard of phishing (although if they receive email they must have internet connections and presumably read some news from the WWW). Nevertheless the number of messages so tagged seems quite excessive, and often with no message content that seems to invite any degree of suspicion.
3 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Why so much PHISHing?

I may be wrong but I don't believe that PlusNet scan for phishing and I've certainly never seen the [PHISH] tag before. In any case their spam tag is [-SPAM-] and it seems odd that the two would be in different formats.

What e-mail client do you use and do you have any anti-virus software that might be tagging the e-mail? Does the [PHISH] tag appear in webmail?
DavidHH
Grafter

Why so much PHISHing?

I use Eudora, so perhaps it is Eudora which adds these tags. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check this.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Why so much PHISHing?

In terms of people "falling for" the PHISHing scams, users are yet to catch up and scams are getting much more sophisticated. Sadly not everyone is as netucated as you and either through naivety, fear or greed will follow the links in e-mails.

If it didn't work, people wouldn't send them, it's as simple as that. With the enormous botnet infrastructure available to spammers, if only one person in a thousand falls for it then it's still profitable for them.