cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so long? Why no further help?

N/A

I ordered broadband on the 10th January my details were processed, payment of £36 deducted from my CC, I then sat back to wait for broadband, checking the ADSL tracker every day, usually several times a day!

After 10 days not including the W/E I still had heard nothing, so I called customer services, asking what progress there was.
The guy said he would check and call back, a short-time later a technical person called to advise that there was a problem.
BT had advised we had too much noise on the line, he said "at this time Broadband was unavailable but not to rule it out, maybe a call to BT might help to see if they can help"

I called BT who did a quick check and advised that BB was available, I told them of Plusnet's call to me regarding noise etc, and they advised that Plusnet call BT Wholesale to discuss the problem as they were unable to deal with me?

I spoke to another guy at Plusnet and told him of my call to BT and their response inviting Plusnet to contact them try to resolve the issue of line/noise,
Or whatever, his reply was BT had told Plusnet that my line was unsuitable so there was nothing he could do.

I realise that my phone line is not your fault and that you have plenty of customers but being an old force9 customer from some years back (98?) and that being a new customer again you may have been able to help somewhat.
I was really looking forward to being a Plusnet customer along with the value added features being offered.
I am now in the process of signing up with BT broadband… ugh Sad Shockedops:
26 REPLIES
N/A

Hmm, that doesn't really sound too helpful. One thing to note: PlusNet would have (I presume) tried to order broadband on your line from BT, and it would have been BT rejecting it on the grounds of too much noise (after running a thorough line test). However, the quick test you said BT did later may just have been a simple postcode or phone number check (which isn't exactly reliable).

If I were you, I'd raise a link:contact us ticket explaining exactly what you explained to us, and see what they can do. Maybe PlusNet could get onto BT (because BT, as you said, refuse to deal directly with customers).
N/A

I realise that BT have probably done a quick test, but as i said i asked Plusnet to speak to BT but the person said there was no point

(I spoke to another guy at Plusnet and told him of my call to BT and their response inviting Plusnet to contact them try to resolve the issue of line/noise,
Or whatever, his reply was BT had told Plusnet that my line was unsuitable so there was nothing he could do. )

All i wanted Plusnet to do was to talk to BT to see what, if any options were available.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

If there is too much noise on your line then in 99% of situations you are out of luck and cannot have ADSL. The few times that the problem can be resolved is when there is actually a fault on your line - hence you would need to contact BT yourself and get this resolved.

If BT have said that they cannot improve the quality of your line then there is nothing that we can do.

Regards,
N/A

If you contact BT phone faults and complain of too much noise for Broadband, they will do nothing as they are only obliged to supply a working phone line.

Try the opposite tack and complain of a noisey phone ( audio) line, they must investigate and rectify if required. If they find you have a fault on your normal telephone and institute a fix (which could be a new master socket, a rewire from your nearest telegraph pole to the house etc,), then retry a Broadband application.

If BT find no fault with your normal telephone, hard luck, no Broadband.

Incidently, signing up with BT broadband is still no guarantee of getting on BB. The "red tape" within the different sections of BT are not going to help you.
N/A

That might be a possibilty as i have no idea how old the master socket is it looks similar to one from 70s or early 80s and my line travel through a number of trees. BTW our exchange was only BB enabled on the 7th January.
Thanks for the replies.
N/A

Hang on I think there is something missing here sodey said that he had heard nothing from PlusNet and had to contact them, surely when PlusNet heard from BT that the line was too noisy they should have contacted sodey, appraised him of the problem and his options. I think it is a cop-out putting all the blame on BT.
N/A

Agreed, it would appear +Net had not informed sodey of BT's rejection of the order and did not deal with his support question well.
However, iut is true that if BT reject the line as being too noisey/too high attenuation, there is nothing +Net can do.
N/A

If you do find you are able to gain a connection with BT Broadband, my advice would be a complaint to OFCOM.

BT Broadband is the ISP devision of BT Retail. BT Openworld Yahoo! is a seperate venture, though still under the BT Plc Umbrella.

Needless to say, BT Wholesale should be acting in the same way with all ISPs, regardless of the name or owner and without bias.

So if you rejected with PlusNet (by the way, the error returns sugests a physical line test was performed), the BT ones should reject too.

If they accept, then you should be complaining that BT are rejecting you from your ISP of choice.
Ianwild
Grafter

If you do find you are able to gain a connection with BT Broadband, my advice would be a complaint to OFCOM.

Better than that, we will complain to Oftel, although I appreciate you haven't had a great support experience and might not want to proceed with us.

What I would be prepared to do (And this is a one off before anyone gets any ideas!) is offer to pay for your Migration to us, if BT Broadband do manage to get you installed. We are already speaking to BT about this issue, but some clear evidence of any anti-competitive behaviour would be lovely.

I have looked into this and in the case of the 10 days wait, at that stage I can see that BT had not rejected the order. It was in a "Performing precision testing" state. We do try to chase these but it isn't always possible to keep up with every order as it goes through the sometimes long winded provisioning procedures.

The one thing we are very rarely able to do though is get BT Wholesale to try and fix the line for us - They will fix bad data in their records but if they have done a line test and said "No", there really is nothing we can do to make them proceed with the order.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

I might be in contact

:lol:
Well...BT have now advised me that i am now BB enabled!
I have bought a wireless/modem/router, (BT make/branded!!) however i will be unable to test if things are working until Sunday night Monday morning.
I just might in contact with you Ian.......

What I would be prepared to do (And this is a one off before anyone gets any ideas!) is offer to pay for your Migration to us, if BT Broadband do manage to get you installed. We are already speaking to BT about this issue, but some clear evidence of any anti-competitive behaviour would be lovely.

Moderators note (John) proper quote BBcode set up for you.
N/A

Hang on a minute this typical plusnet lets blame someone else, +net did not tell sodey that his line had a problem, BT asked for plusnet to contact them and +net said there was nothing they could do, perhaps had they taken the time to conact BT they could have come up with a solution but oh no lets turn into a BT anti competetive issue!! Sound like its a simple +net i can't be bothered to do the extra work to get it solved.
jberry
Grafter

Not at all,

BT's ordering system is based on a database and also additional checks. The database checks line noise and is used for initial checks. If these are passed then it is sent for further testing and (hopefully) activation. In this case the order was accepted and tested by BT Wholesale as unavailable.

At this point, when BT say an order has failed there is not a great deal we can do. BT do not provide the exact loss figures for applications and it is not a viable option to question each and every failure just in case! The fact of the matter is that the ordering process for us and people like BTO should be exactly the same...
N/A

Ok ,but what about your shortcomings its always about someone else, its never +net.
N/A

I have never seen a situation where PlusNet have blamed someone else, except in cases such as these where that's where the problem is - with someone else.

However, I fear we are straying away from the main idea of this thread.