cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should I migrate my Broadband connection to Plusnet?

N/A

I've currently got a BT Business Broadband connection (ADSL Max) from my employer but now I've got to pay for this myself, BT BB is a touch pricy!

I've also got a dial-up account of long-standing with Plusnet (which gets little use but has always worked when I need it) and a domain used primarily for email so migrating to Plusnet should be a 'no-brainer'.

Now the real question is, given all the noise about recent Plusnet performance and service issues, is there any reason why I should migrate my broadband to Plusnet rather than another ISP? (If there isn't, I'll probably migrate my dial-up connection and domain when I do finally decide on a new ISP.) I acknowledge that "you only hear the squeaking wheels" but I'm seriously concerned that I might be departing from a stable and relatively reliable connection to 'ISP hell'.

Are there any good first-hand experiences from Plusnet customers who've migrated their Broadband connections in the last 3-6 months?

Are the technical issues only with the LLU connections?

Similarly any experiences where Customer Services have worked as it should do for non-trival issues?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Phil
27 REPLIES
N/A

Do not use PN, trust me on this one.

The customer service is a joke..
The speeds are a joke..

In your position i would advise to look else where.
N/A

Stay Away unless you like pain
N/A

It's a complete gamble, some people have no problems, but some people are plagued with problems.

Then again, looking at the latest ISP listings, PN are hardly near the top!

(hmmm, according to ADSLGuide, Tiscali are one of the best ISPs... Take that with a pinch of salt and a few fries)

Personally, if your happy with BT, why not just downgrade from a Business to a Residential product?
Community Veteran

On the other hand - lots of people, like myself have had pretty much faultless service for the last 2 years. Tickets have been answered reasonably quickly, and there have been no significant technical problems.
N/A

I am another user who has had a service filled with pretty few issues.
I would say that you need to look at the facts and figures and decide for yourself. As far as issues with MaxDSL go this can be experienced by anyone with any ISP. If you are in a location that has tiscali LLU you would be advised to opt out of this post haste and have someone acknowledge it.

Other than this I personally feel that for adsl Plusnet is as good as any other ISP and worth the pennies too.
Slipperymack
Grafter

Do you have a decent line? If your line is not up to the rigours of BT MAX then you are probably going to have the same problems whichever ISP you use, the measurement will be how quickly problems are resolved or looked at.

Of course you may be able to get LLU from that great provider Tiscali via PN !!!!

PN went through a bad spell of appalling CS, probably caused by the amount of problems the introduction of MAX/LLU caused. However my personal experience is that they are now getting better and I hope will revert back to the same quality of service I had when I first joined.
N/A

Thanks for the replies everybody.

On a couple of the questions raised

- only been on ADSLmax for 3-4 weeks; managed to get it upgraded before company served notice of termination on the ADSL service!
- currently manages 3.5-4.5Mb reliably; connection drops a couple of times a day but always comes back within a couple of minutes even with my non-ADSL2 certified modem.
- Fortunately Tiscali not on my Exchange (Woking) as far as samknows
- BT residential still expensive and has 40GB cap; not good for Fedora downloads and other software updates even if they are done off-peak

Not forced to make the switch just yet but doing the research before I need to jump. May give PN a little longer to get their act together. Have asked for the MAC from BT already though.

On a related issue, does anybody know if there is a time time on how long you can hang onto a MAC before you can't use it?

Thanks again, Phil
pjemmanuel
Grafter

MACs expire in 30 days. After that period, you would need to ask BT to raise a new one for you.
N/A

Just to add my voice, I moved from BT to PlusNet for very similar reasons to yourself, and I am one of those that has had a pretty trouble free service (certainly compared to BT, where they kept billing the wrong amounts).

There do seem to be many on here with problems, and I would say that customer service is now harder to reach by phone, but most of my support mails get a fast enough response.

I'm afraid I don't really hold great stock in some of the 'independent ratings' out there (as noted earlier) - I think that the larger the ISP, the less 'power users' they have, and hence always less forum action.

It was tough to decide when I switched - guess you never really know.

Sorry - that ended up as being no help at all!
N/A

Don't do it, look elsewhere Wink
N/A

you shouldnt
N/A

I have been with PlusNet since June 05 and have two referals. I am currently on 2MB Premier and have had absolutely no problems with speed or customer service. I have opted out of LLU and not opted in with Maxdsl. One problem with a modem on a referal line was addressed quickly by PlusNet who sent a new modem.

The other referal has been upgraded to Max with no problems, however they are a low user so probably would not detect any line speed issues.
N/A

id be on the "dont do it side" only because of the llu / tiscali fiasco of last month. if you need a connection everyday or it is needed for your work id look elsewhere
Community Veteran

LLU to tiscali has been put on hold a while back and they have only moved those that were actualy in the pipeline already since then.
So there should be no danger that you will be LLU'd without notice, and if they start again with it you can always opt out.