cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't Gaming Gold Traffic?

N/A

Online gaming is heavily reliant on latency/ping, far more so than http traffic is. Generally gaming doesn't have a high mbps throughput, but it is very dependant on the traffic moving back and forth from server to client quickly. It doesn't use much bandwidth compared to surfing - most games are 10kbps at most.

Gaming is fairly mainstream these days, I bet at least 10-25% of Plusnet people play games either casually or hardcore.

Why then is gaming considered silver traffic when it should clearly be gold? I can't understand how http traffic can be gold when ping/latency is less important for surfing than bandwidth usage. I am confused.
11 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Actually, over the past couple of weeks we have made some changes to the way that gaming runs over our network, after feedback from people who were seeing problems during busy times. One of these changes was to move the gaming traffic from silver to gold.
N/A

In that case I congratulate you on making the correct decision :-)
N/A

I second that!
Gaming should be Gold.

--Alan
Community Veteran

Excellent Smiley
N/A

Technically it shouldnt make a huge amount of difference. but having it in gold is good to be on the safe side
N/A

Shame they didnt put it in gold to start with - I might not of cancelled.
My gaming is more important to me that VoIP that a fraction of other customers might be using - dunno why it was in Silver to start with.
N/A

Good stuff, hopefully this will provide great gaming pings on the upcoming Xbox 360 Cheesy
N/A

Not for me anymore Smiley I am now on F2S few quid more back at least am now getting about 3Mb on my speed with their LLU instead of my 1Mb capped/chopped/throttled/stangled/limited +Net.
N/A

Well I switched onto premier last week from my previous home lite package, so far I haven't had any ping/lag issues with World of warcraft or Battlefield 2. Hope it stays that way. Cheesy
N/A

Games

i'm on a premier and have no problems with online games.

Works fine......... :lol:
trentboy
Grafter

I have a high ping on BF2 - when I say high I mean in the 30s but it used to be in the low teens until a few weeks ago - everything seems to be going pear shaped in the past few weeks - I have about 5 friends all with plus.net experiencing the same degraded service.