cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this the slowest site on the interweb?

jagger
Grafter

I've almost stopped coming in here due to the delay in pages loading.

Wish I hadn't bothered again now.7.5 seconds to load the portal,3.5 seconds upwards to load pages.It ain't worth it.

Anyone explain why it's so slow?
8 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

<cheap dig> 'cos it's running on PN servers </cheap dig>

No idea, but I get round it by loading each of the stories I wan't to read in a new tab. Then I just flick through the tabs, and don't have to wait at all.

(You'll need any other browser apart from IE, but no-one would be foolish enough to choose to use IE would they... </hijack thread>)

:-)

Paul.<><
N/A

7.5 seconds is hardly anything if im honest. Yes we would love to have the site there before we click on the link but hey.

I can only assume that the reason it is a bit slow is because the MySQL server not only serve's the portal but also the databases for all hosted sites.

To be completely fair I have given up trying to find out why its slowing down more and more. Ill still visit the same but wont be able to read as much or reply as much.

Regards,
N/A

I'm the same as pacem - once the topic list page is up, I just middle click on all interesting topics to opens them up in seperate tabs and then use mouse gestures to move between them. By the time I've read the first one, most (if not all) of the other tabs have already fully loaded.

Result = no waiting Smiley
N/A

the MySQL server not only serve's the portal but also the databases for all hosted sites

Please tell me that's not true :shock:
N/A

I thnk I jumped the gun a little earlier.
It would seem I was using 4th hand info from about a year ago and so highly in-accurate.

I have checked up on this and the portal server and accounts server is completely seperate to that of all hosted MySQL sites.

Soz about this guys Sad

Regards,
N/A

Whew Wink
Alecto
Grafter

MYSQL or not, the Pn portal has always been dreadfully slow as far as I'm aware.
People have complained and either been told it's not a problem(!), or that it will be fixed (!).
Neither of these answers seems to be true.
Oh well.
N/A

Yip. This portal has been slow for as long as I have been a customer.

I have seen various explanations over the years and tbh I can't remember the half of them.

It is on the todo list which has been submitted by PUG.