cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my BB+ IP static?

aeroalfie
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

I disconnect then reconnect and my IP is still the same, I thought BB+ IP was dynamic and changed every time you connect - I noticed in a thread a while back you put some BB+ customers on a static IP to observe their usage, if this is the case why are you observing mine if BB+ has a soft cap of 5 GB peak time and 50 GB off peak why then is my IP static/ being monitored for using a total of 3.2GB during peak and off peak since the 29th of last month uptill now?
25 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

If you don't leave much time between disconnecting and reconnecting I believe you may well get the same IP address if it hasn't been reassigned in the time you are disconnected
LiamM
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

You are assigned a static IP on broadband plus if Plusnet are monitoring your account for over usage.

AFAIK you also remain on a static ip if your plus account is being managed.

See the announcement in the product announcements forum for more information.
aeroalfie
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

Shellsong:

Disconnected left it for a while then reconnected and it’s still the same. :?:
aeroalfie
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

martinfamily:

Over usage? What a total of 3.¼ GB that’s including off peak usage as well!

Well my account should not be managed because I haven’t gone over the 5GB soft cap also I haven’t noticed no downgrade in speed.
N/A

Why is my BB+ IP static?

I used to have a plus account and noticed the same thing. The reported IP address did not change very often at all. I assume when the IPs are issued they have a fairly long lease on them. So, unless you disconnect for a reasonably long period of time, you will be reassigned the same IP each time you connect.
shellsong
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

You realise, of course, that people pay good money extra for a static IP address! Wink
Non static IP addresses don't provide any real protection against attack I believe, you're better off using a good firewall properly set up for that, but I can understand if you want to find out if you are being managed. If that's your main concern I would suggest you raise a ticket to ask whether you've been put on a static address and if so why
N/A

Why is my BB+ IP static?

phewes, ADSL IP assignment doesn't work on lease times, as is the case with LAN IP assignment. When my BB+ address was dynamic, it changed every time I disconnected, even if I reconnected immediately.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

I noticed I was on a sticky IP myself a week or so ago, so raised a ticket voicing my concerns. Not much of an answer, to be honest but looking at my useage I don`t think I have much to worry about...

Open : [Support Wizard Journey]
[CSC - SUP Enquiries]
[Additional Information]
Hello there! I`ve noticed that I`m on a "sticky" IP at the moment, and am curious whether this is due to my account being monitored for the duration as a curtain-raiser for some of the more extreme account management that I`ve been reading about on your internal forums and ADSL Guide. I first noticed this sticky IP when I was investigating my setup as my browsing has been a bit more sluggish than I remember in my first month with BB+.

Anyway, if this is the case, could you please let me know, on a sliding scale maybe, what kind of "advanced" management I can expect with total usage? My fear is of being put onto one of the more 128 or even 64kbps I`ve seen somewhere management profiles, which frankly blows goats as I`m sure you`ll agree.

I notice that my usage this month so far has head into the stratospheric heights of 1.17Gb at the time of this email. Does account monitoring/management start at the 1Gb/Month scale? What kind of usage can I safely achieve without attracting the wrath of your ellacoyas?

Many thanks,

Loz H

Reply:

Your current usage means that you are unlikely to see any slow down due to our monitoring. We are unable to give out an figures regarding usage, as the platform is dynamically managed, and may change from day to day.

Regards,

No explanation of the sticky IP, or answers to my other concerns. Anyway, seeing as they`ve now explained the BB+ limitations a little more clearly (if a lot more restrictive than I remember reading when I signed up), most of those points have been answered.

This is my second month of BB+, and with my payment cycle being on the 24th of each month, I have now hit the heady heights of 2.18Gb. Well worth monitoring I`m sure you`ll all agree.

On my first month of Plusnet ADSL (after a few months of dialup in my new home. I would have stuck with my old ISP, Pipex, but they`ve gone right down the pan lately, plus their "moving house" deal sucked big time when I enquired about it...) I did go bandwidth-crazy with updates and downloads, pushing the envelope to the tune of 6.48Gb in the first month. Maybe it was such frantic use that caught their attention in the first place. Hardly over-usage I would have thought.......

Cheers,

Loz H
aeroalfie
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

Hello still on the same IP!
JonathanW
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

With usage like that you shouldn't be on a static IP address, though its still possible that the system has flagged you up and placed you onto one. With it being sunday there's no one here that I can check directly with, but I'll pass the details through so that things can be double checked.
aeroalfie
Grafter

Why is my BB+ IP static?

thanks.
N/A

Why is my BB+ IP static?

phewes, ADSL IP assignment doesn't work on lease times, as is the case with LAN IP assignment. When my BB+ address was dynamic, it changed every time I disconnected, even if I reconnected immediately.

OK. It just didn't change in my experience. Right from the start my dynamic IP didn't change when I reconnected. In fact, my very first post here was because I wanted to know why not. This was back in July - way before the current nonsence of people being placed on profiles and I was connecting with a USB modem, rather than a router.
N/A

Why is my BB+ IP static?

Yeah, BB+ IP's used to be sticky. That changed a few months ago when they were made fully dynamic.
N/A

Why is my BB+ IP static?

i'm on static too it seems.
never received any email that i was being managed, monitored or else.
i've not been reading or posting on forums lately as the service is much improved lately.(better than it was in late 2005 anyway)
from what i read we have 5 gb bandwitth for peak time and 50 gb for off peak....that seem resonable to me .
i was not aware of this new policy till now...and to be honest i doubt i exceeded the peak time limitation.(i seem to use 10-12 gig a month in total).
i read there'll be a way to have a one off reset opportunity to go back to self management. would be nice to know when.