cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it...

N/A

Why is it...

when I use download manager on Mozilla my downloads off mirror sites go quite slow? I have a 2mb connection and notice that speeds start off at 200 odd kb/s but very quickly dip to 75kb/s. The last thing I tried was off Alienware's site and after 2-3 seconds it averaged out at 75kb/s. Any clues? Speed tests seem within normal range according to ADSL guide.
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Why is it...

Do you need to open any ports with your firewall?Huh
N/A

Why is it...

Hi,
Do you have this problem with other browsers or just mozilla?
N/A

Why is it...

Hi again,

I'm using a USB modem with Sygate allowing access etc. I only use Mozilla as my browser so I'll give IE6 a blast and let you know shortly.
N/A

Why is it...

Tried a few different sites using IE6. Tried www.download.com and the alienware site for a few things. Highest rate was 60kb/s but both speed tests on here and ADSL guide are within 2mb limits.Strange.........
N/A

Why is it...

Hi,

If you fill in this form http://cgi.support.plus.com/faultreporting/ and paste the results in a contact us ticket we will look into this for you.
N/A

Why is it...

Just a note on download managers. Be aware that some download managers will start downloading a file to a temp folder while you are deciding where to save it to, ie. it starts downloading the file after you click on it and is actually downloading the file while the save dialog is on the screen. After you click ok some of the file is already downloaded and thats the point where the average download calculation for that file is started. Thats where the initial impressive download speed comes from.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Why is it...

Hi,

I've often seen this with Internet Explorer, downloads'll start out showing really fast before settling down.
lowry
Grafter

Why is it...

I've seen this too. Sometimes when you download files using Internet Explorer the speed it is reporting is incorrect, and it takes a while for it to settle down to the correct speed.

Why the speed should settle at 60-70kb/sec, I'm not sure as you say that your speed tests are normal for a 2MB connection. Follow mrpoole's instructions, and hopefully you'll be able to find the root of the problem soon.

matt Wink