cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Bit Torrent running real slow?

N/A

Normally I can get speeds of over 100kb/s. Now I'm barely managing 2kb/s. Whats up? Surfing seems normal though.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Package? Management? Stable speed? Sync speed?
N/A

Hmm, I would love to pretend to know what all that means, but I don't. All I know it one day it works fine, tonight, runs like a dog.

I'm still on 2kb/s. Cry

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

What PN Package are you on? BB+, Premier 1, 2, 3 etc

What is your stable speed? (from this page)
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

What is your sync speed? (from your routers Line stats page)

Puzzled by... Management :?
N/A

Here's the stable speed:
Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps

I'm on Premier 1 I think ... basically paying £21.99 for a 20gb peak hour download. Routers line stats page? Erm .. well ... no idea what that is.
N/A

Oh my word .. its just gone worse. 200b/s now. Ah no worries, its only gonna take 15 days to download a 1gb file. :twisted:
N/A

Something is really wierd.

I've checked bit torrent in Azereus, and the Nat test returns an error. Port forwarding etc has been setup correctly on the router. Interestingly though is that the IP address stated when I do ipconfig has been changed from 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.6. How is this possible? In the router, its defined the firewall rule for lan user 192.168.0.5, so I added another rule for ...0.6

BUT its still slow. Which leads me to wonder, does anyone here use the default port 6881 for bit torrent, and has PN throttled this port?
xblade
Grafter

I have also noticed incredibly slow speeds with bittorrent for a few days now and I am using PAYGO account

Is this type of download being targeted by +net?

Simon
N/A

Interestingly though is that the IP address stated when I do ipconfig has been changed from 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.6. How is this possible?

It's more than possible that you were disconnected from your Router and it has gotten confused and sent out another IP address for you. If you have DHCP enabled, you can always turn it off and tell your PC to use the 192.168.0.5 address and it shouldnt ever change.

port 6881 for bit torrent, and has PN throttled this port?

It's usual policy around 'torrent land' that using the default ports isn't a good idea and to go for different ones. (Thats why you will generally see connections using lots of different port address')
N/A

I get most of my disconnections when I'm on bit torrent downloading. PN must be targeting that.
N/A

If they were doing that, I think they'd be after me with my 17-18Gb over the past two days while im at work!

Many routers (and modems) can and do get flooded with connection attempts and cause an automatic disconnection. It might be worth reducing the attempts per second/minute in your torrent program and seeing if that helps the situation any?
N/A

Puzzled by... Management :?

As you probably know - when you exceed your dl limit, your connection becomes 'managed'. Since there are several different levels of management, I was asking which was active, if any.
xblade
Grafter

I am puzzeled as well about management of bittorrent by plusnet, as I am on the PAYGO account!

Simon
N/A

squidgey:
AH! KK.. I get you now Smiley
Firejack
Grafter

Very slow for me today also. Trying to download/host some torrents myself and I'm only getting 5K up and down.

Tried restarting my computer and network connection and its still incredibly slow.

Is there a particular configuration we are meant to use for Bittorrent on Plus.net in terms of ports etc?

Very frustrating all this management. Especially when you are using Bittorrent to download legally :roll: