cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my usage gone up so much?

pushbikes-uk
Grafter

the last couple of months I have been notified I have gone over 11GB and I have this month even gone over 14GB. I cannot understand why we are suddenly useing more (I have the £21.99 package)

I use email a lot and update my website but that is mainly uploading, watch a videos on You tube and my daughter is alway on Myspace....

The only thing I can think that has changed is my son is on Xbox live with his 360. Does this use a lot?

Anyone shed any light on it?
10 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

The thing that strikes me as the most bandwidth intensive activity is the :

watch a videos on You tube and my daughter is alway on Myspace....

As Dave has discussed in his Traffic Management blog, here, Youtube videos eat a lot of bandwidth, so much so that it's around 9% of our total network at peak time. And an hour of browsing around / listening to Music on MySpace can easily use around 400Mb of bandwidth.

XBOX Live can use a fair amount, more so if you use a headset. The VMBU page under "Connection Settings" can break down your usage for you if that is helpful to you?
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

Hi
yeah that seems to make sense. Think I am going to have to have a word with the kids......
Milesey

Another one to check is Sky Anytime or Channel 4's 4OD. My daughter left her PC switched on with 4OD and this completely, by itself, blew my own allocation for a month in just a week.
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

fortunately she hasn't found that yet...
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

It's funny but under my usage the "gaming" is really not that much in comparison, so does the X box live service actually come under gaming or does it just come under web?

Also I looked at the Upgrade and found that apparently I am paying £21.99 for a package that I should be paying £19.99 for...can anyone from Plus Net explain this? I have been a customer for a long time and am not happy that I could seemingly have the same allowance and pay less...
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Also I looked at the Upgrade and found that apparently I am paying £21.99 for a package that I should be paying £19.99 for...can anyone from Plus Net explain this? I have been a customer for a long time and am not happy that I could seemingly have the same allowance and pay less...

PlusNet released new products in April. This was widely publicised on the forum, portal, e-mail newsletters and internet news websites.

The revised products usually allow more "paid for" bandwidth for the same money, or the same "paid for" bandwidth for less money, but increase the "paid for" hours. Under BBYW customers now pay for usage between 0800-0000hrs, compared to 1600-0000hrs under the legacy products you're on.

The new products will not therefore be suitable to everyone, but will suit those who do not use their connection during the day. Generally speaking though the products will better value for money for customers.

See here for full details of the new products.
hitachi
Grafter

Re: Why has my usage gone up so much?

I use email a lot and update my website but that is mainly uploading,

Uploading also counts on your usage.
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

yes I get that but the point is I am paying £21.99 and getting the exact same allowance as someone paying £19.99 what am I getting for my £2 extra?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The main difference is the hours as Peter says. On BBYW the 20GB is counted over 8am to midnight whereas on Premier usage between 8am and 4pm isn't counted. So depending what your usage is like between 8am and 4pm you could be paying more on BBYW than on Premier.
Community Veteran

yes I get that but the point is I am paying £21.99 and getting the exact same allowance as someone paying £19.99 what am I getting for my £2 extra?

One thing you are getting is metered usage is only from 4:00pm until midnight.

On the 19.99 package, metered usage is between 8:00am and midnight.

EDIT: beaten to it.