cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why dont f9 tell me whats happening?

okmbok
Grafter

I just noticed my 1Mb connection speed was cut by 2/3rds. After re-booting my router it says my line is 4480kbps. So obviously my line is being maxdsl. But what gets me is that I have recieved NO Email to tell me that I need to switch my router off and on a few times over a the next 10days ( Do you still need to do this?) I normally leave my router connected so I dont know exactly how long this has been going on for. What happens if I didnt switch my router off within the 10 day period??
And I am now getting a stable 0.5Mb d/l speed..I am impressed :x
13 REPLIES
carpangler
Grafter

This 10 day thing is still confusing, and I've asked several times about this to F9 and got no satisfactory responce. I work away for up 2 weeks at a time with no way of rebooting kit etc...

So, if i get upgraded whilst I am away (2 out 3 weeks), what am I meant to do. F9 - Can you respond to this please as if I get home 1 day and find my connection down, I'll be less than impressed. So, my question is, why can't anyone give any dates to customers, as any other business sector would be hauled over the coals with customer service that BT/F9 (ISP's in general I suppose) give. At the end of day, we pay our money to F9 so surely it is there responceabilty (F9) to get the information to there customers, and if it's BT they should be sorting them out.

Not asking a lot eh Cheesy
JonathanW
Grafter

Yes, it would look like your line has been maxed, though we have seen some cases where the emails haven't been sent out when they should have been.

As for your first ten days, the best thing to do is leave the router switched on as much as possible, and only reboot it once or twice. If your router isn't switched off at all, and doesn't loose connection, then the BT kit will generally extend the training period a little to ensure that it gest the best possible stats for your line.
okmbok
Grafter

I raised a Ticket prior to this thread and heres the reply

2006-05-12
10:20:38
Script User
Unused - ADC - Developers Open : Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support

Well no mention of maxdsl or anything...thats automation for you
okmbok
Grafter

I just rebooted my router and did some speed tests...

13-05-2006 07:52:14 482.3
13-05-2006 07:51:55 477.6
12-05-2006 10:01:16 479.3
12-05-2006 09:59:21 510.8
04-03-2006 13:28:48 976.7
17-02-2006 22:53:31 1014.8
08-11-2005 22:13:20 966.9
06-11-2005 16:55:16 971.3

Ok So now i am getting a "4Mb" line with 0.5Mb Connection speeds....
GREAT!!!!!!!!
:roll:
N/A

Hi okmbok,

YES! 4megs me too and great yes! thats probably the best we can realistically get, anything more above 4megs will be a bonus. I'm a happy bunny because despite all the hype I never expected to really get 8megs anyway.

If I ever do get migrated to a LLU service via F9 Tiscarli & received the ADSL2+ service i.e. upto 24megs then I still wouldnt expect to get 24megs either, but if I got 10 or 12megs I'd still be delighted. But I wont be holding my breath or loosing sleep over it though. If it happens fine!!

Ivan
N/A

GREAT!!!!!!!!

Have you tried this page: https://portal.f9.net.uk/my.html?action=stable_rate to see what your current MSR is?

Mark
JonathanW
Grafter

GREAT!!!!!!!!

What results do you get from running a BT Speed Test? As I can't see anything on your account that would limit your speeds to 500k.
okmbok
Grafter

Have you tried this page: https://portal.f9.net.uk/my.html?action=stable_rate to see what your current MSR is?

Mark

Yeah it says im at 1000Kbps....But my router says 4000kbps.
And the f9 speed tests are 500Kbs
:?:

And the BT speed tester:

"The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

481 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

I guess it is acceptable then :roll:
I was getting better connection speeds with 1Mb
:!:
N/A

Yeah it says im at 1000Kbps....But my router says 4000kbps.
And the f9 speed tests are 500KBs

That's what happened with mine, synching at over 2000 but an MSR of 500!! It took a while for the "update" (which should be automatic) to be manually made by F9, a re- boot and it went back to 2000, although speed stayed at 1000.

I have seen many reportsd of people synching at the 8mb end of the scale, but only getting speeds of 6mb and less! There is defininitely a problem with this MAX rollout somewhere. Problem is F9 and BT are just "flying by the seat of their pants" on this one.

Mark
okmbok
Grafter

Checking my connection speed now I can d/l at 1Mbs. I still havent recieved an email from f9 telling me when my regrade started so I cant tell if the 10day period is over or not. Using the MAxdsl Guestimator I should be connecting at 4Mb/s. My router has been stating the line to be 4Mb/s constantly...even after reboot. Should I raise a ticket to get my MSR raised or is this all "automatic"
?
N/A

I still havent recieved an email from f9 telling me when my regrade started so I cant tell if the 10day period is over or not.

You won't. Dave has said in the newsgroup that no emails have been sent since they began using the bulk upgrade tool.

My router has been stating the line to be 4Mb/s constantly...even after reboot. Should I raise a ticket to get my MSR raised or is this all "automatic" ?

It is suposed to be automatic, but can take 3- 4 days to increase, but wil decrease same day!! You can ask when you were maxed, as they will probably tell you to "chill" until the 10 days +4 are over to allow the changes to take place.

Not convinced myself though!!

Mark
Trebor
Grafter

Shouldn't this new High speed broadband be called snails pace broadband. Evil
okmbok
Grafter

Shouldn't this new High speed broadband be called snails pace broadband. Evil

I am begining to feel that way now...My speed test show <600Mb/s
This is bow locks Evil