cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does an upgrade mean disconnects for 14 days?

Simon22
Dabbler

So since last Thursday I've noticed very frequent disconnections and restarting my router is the only way to get it back online, but only for a short while before it repeats.

I logged into Portal and read about the 8mb upgrade and obviously read about the disconnections, it seems my symptons match it exactly.

My question is why have I got to put up with these tiresome disconnections for 14 days? I was upgraded from 512 to 2mb with no disconnections at all, and the speed check notes me running at about 4meg now, so it's obvious i've had the speed upgrade.

I have things to run via the internet and constant timeouts are a chore. I'm not being ungrateful for an increase in speed, but why the constant timeouts?
2 REPLIES
Sproglet
Grafter

If you read through the other posts on the forum you will see this is how MaxDSL works.

The first 14 days approximately are spent testing your line to see the maximum speed it is able to cope with safely. Each time it is pushed past its limit the line will disconnect and retrain at a slower speed. If it is stable for a while it'll disconnect and try a faster speed... and so on.

The same think used to happen on 33.6k modems (and of course 56k) where it would retrain to the best your line could cope with but in those days we were used to slooooooow web pages ;-)
Simon22
Dabbler

I would of looked but every thread is someone moaning their tits off unfortunatly.

Thanks for clearing it up, that makes sense.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules