cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does PN charge so much for .com et al?

sinewave
Grafter

I've been looking into getting a domain name (triggered by the new .eu availability) and this got me thinking about who to buy it with. I first looked at PN of course but - blow me down - what are those pricesHuh?

Lowcostnames give you a .com registration (and a basic package of email/URL forwarding) for £25. Plusnet charge £92.83 . Both provide this for two years.

Hmmm... shall I pay £25 to LCN or £92.83 to PN?

Am I missing something here? This seems a right royal rip-off!!!
10 REPLIES
avalon
Grafter

Yep, I have no idea why they do this. Probably to make more money from people who don't know enough and need their hand held. :roll:

I'd buy from one of the big name sellers like 1&1 or 123. Then raise a contact us ticket saying you want to transfer in HOSTING ONLY. Note this is different to a full transfer in, the external registrar is the one that registers the name and who you renew it with. You just change the DNS settings to Plusnet so it works off your webspace.

If you are asked to tell your registrar to "release IPS Tags" don't do it! They are trying to transfer in your domain registration rather than just do the hosting and will charge you an arm and a leg for renewal of your domain name.

I'm pretty sure there is a tutorial subject I'll add it in here when I find it.

Link
sinewave
Grafter

NorthBritish said:
"I'd buy from one of the big name sellers like 1&1 or 123. Then raise a contact us ticket saying you want to transfer in HOSTING ONLY"

---
I don't think you you even have to do that - its all configurable via the portal. You only have to raise a ticket if your TLD (the bit after the dot) is not in the list on the PN configuration page.
JonathanW
Grafter

The prices are down to the fact that we're not set up as a proper hosting company, so we aren't always able to get the same discounts that the larger registra's are able to get due to the fact that they buy far more domain names. Similarly, our systems require more manual intervention to register and host the domains, which adds to the cost to register and host a domain for two years.

As for transfering in a domain for hosting only, this does have to be done via link:contact us as the portal page only really works if you're trying to fully transfer in a .co.uk domain name.

All you need to do is get the name servers changed to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net and then raise the ticket.
N/A

It's a real shame that PlusNet can't get the discounts, and then charge a small premium for support, as in my experience they do a great job of handling things once a domain has been brought in for hosting only.
avalon
Grafter

I don't think you you even have to do that - its all configurable via the portal. You only have to raise a ticket if your TLD (the bit after the dot) is not in the list on the PN configuration page.

Ah well that's progress for you, I'm sure you used to have to raise a ticket. Shows you how many domains I have with Plusnet. :lol:
sinewave
Grafter

The prices are down to the fact that we're not set up as a proper hosting company, so we aren't always able to get the same discounts that the larger registra's are able to get due to the fact that they buy far more domain names. Similarly, our systems require more manual intervention to register and host the domains, which adds to the cost to register and host a domain for two years.

I can get a .com name for less than £13.98 for two years from Dataflame compared to PN's £92.83.

As for the "bargain" .co.uk names that plusnet boast that they can give you for £1/month (ie £24 /2years), Dataflame will give you the same for £6.99.

I cannot see how PN can justify their prices here. If plusnet's "system" really demands this sort of charge then I can only conclude the "system" needs looking at. Unless I am missing something here (and I'm all ears), anyone who goes with PN for a .com domain name can't possibly know any better. ie PN benefit from those who are naive. With such a HUGE difference in price (664% more expensive) the word "exploitation" comes to mind.

How would you feel if you'd just spent 90+quid with PN only to stumble across some other registrar where you could have payed £14. Would you feel swindled?

I'm all quite new to this. Am I missing something? Would I get anything extra for all that money if I went with PN registration? Do people prefer to register with plusnet regardless?

I would have thought that any business that can only offer a service for 6 times the price of its competitors would need to look seriously at whether its viable or not! Unless of course it knows it can get away with it - that there will be customers who wont check prices and just pay blind.

Perhaps PN should consider using lowcostnames etc to register its domains?
JonathanW
Grafter

As I'm sure some of the people who've been here for a while will know, we've had a new Domain Control System on the work stack for quite some time. Its just that currently its not a high priority so we've not had chance to actually put it together yet. Its this that adds to the ammount of work needed for handling domain names.

Yes, there are companies who are able to offer a much lower price out there, but without us actually making the decision to set up a proper hosting service and push that, we're not going to be able to match these other companies.

I'm sure that there are some people who pay us for a domain name and don't know that there are other options, but this will be the same for any service. But at the same time, there are people who are happy paying us to register their domain as then everything is handled by one company rather than having things all over the place.
Community Veteran

Indeed, at the end of the day people have a choice of whether they want to use PN or not. Plus it's not as if PN make it awkward to register a domain elsewhere and transfer in the hosting: on the contrary, PlusNet are happy to do so if you follow the procedure mentioned earlier (and I can confirm this works fine as I've done it twice).

Thomas
Community Veteran

I have a domain registered with fasthosts and Plusnet were very helpful in setting up the haosting. I'd recomend that part of the service to anyone.

A
N/A

Re: Why does PN charge so much for .com et al?

Hmmm... shall I pay £25 to LCN or £92.83 to PN?

£9 to GoDaddy?

for fully featured hosting (unlimited MySQL etc; via ThePlanet.com) for around £1.50 a month: hosting.mymarkdown.com