cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you need a MAC key?

N/A

1. Why do you need a MAC key to migrate. Why can't you just cancel and go with another ISP?

I really feel sorry for the people who decided they wanted broadband, wanted to know what all the fuss was about and think that this is what the boadband experience is like, dropped out again whilst writing this short message. Downloads pathetic dropouts constant.
3 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

Re: Why do you need a MAC key?

1. Why do you need a MAC key to migrate. Why can't you just cancel and go with another ISP?

You can simply cancel.... but there will be a period during which you have no service before your line is realeased allowing another ISP to place an order on BTw.

The migration process is designed to minimise downtime to minutes. also the charge from BTw for a migration is less than for a new provision. What each ISP chooses to pass on to end customers will vary.
N/A

A MAC lets you seamlessly disconnect from one ISP and connect to another one (with no cost!).

When a line is new and you buy broadband, BT activate it (at a cost of approx £50) and that line is "tagged" to that ISP.

If you didn't have a MAC, you would have to cancel your service, wait for the line to become clear, pay your new ISP for the new activation charge (ANOTHER £50), wait for it to be activated and then you would be up and running again. You would have no access for maybe about 7 days or so.

With a MAC, you sign up with the new isp, a date is given, you don't pay any new charges and when you get disconnected, you enter the new log-in details and you are up and running with your new ISP.

I know which one i'd rather do Smiley
N/A

Many thanks