cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do u insist on only cancelling accounts on payment days?

N/A

I have given my notice to cancel but PN insist I take their sub-standard LLU service until October 25!!!

WhyHuh (See question ID: 20218279)

I insist on only paying for the next 30 days. You have until Sept 25 to work out how much you should take for Sept 25 - Oct 5 (MAXIMUM).

Here is notice that if you take any more monies and do not refund me I will advise my CC that FRAUD has occurred and file a claim via my CC and/or small claims court.
19 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The 1 month notice period starts from the day you raise the cancellation request. If however there's a payment due in this period it will be taken in full as normal as per the T's & C's.

We then set the cancellation date to be the end of that paid period and cease the service on the same date.

With a migration it will work slightly differently as the transfer of the broadband service is set by the new ISP. As before though any payments due in the notice period are collected in full, but if you pay for time after the end of the notice period and after the migration out has completed then this can be refunded on a pro-rata basis.
shellsong
Grafter

That's ridiculous, Dave! 30 days notice is 30 days and if a customer calls on you to cease their service within reasonable time of the start of the notice period you should do it! Why on earth should they have to put up with your tag on the line any longer than they have to? I would imagine that PlusNet would be breaking the law by not making sure the tag is removed by the end of the notice period
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This came up a long time ago but from memory.
If you state in your cancellation request that you want the service ceasing on a specific day then PlusNet will (have to) honour it as the T&C's do not differentiate between a cancellation and a move.
kosh2
Grafter

Slightly off topic but what happens when you migrate to another ISp. I have got my MAC key and in the process of transferring but do I still need to cancel my product?
N/A

You can have the service ceased and the tag removed at any time after your notice of cancellation. However, you will still have to pay any monies owed.

andre02: You should raise a ticket when you have moved to your new ISP, and they'll refund any leftover credit.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's ridiculous, Dave! 30 days notice is 30 days and if a customer calls on you to cease their service within reasonable time of the start of the notice period you should do it!

We can place the cease early on request, but normally set it this way to ensure that customers aren't paying for the service after the line has been ceased.

There's a number of occassions whereby doing it this way where the customers have changed their minds about cancelling or where a house move has falled through at the last minute where ceasing early would have meant they'd be too late and the cease had already completed

I would imagine that PlusNet would be breaking the law by not making sure the tag is removed by the end of the notice period

Not sure what law would be broken but as I say if you want the broadband ceased early it can be.
N/A

But it's service - just like any mobile phone or utility contract!!!

I am giving you 30 days notice - I want my service to cease within 30 days now!

If you are not providing me a service you cannot charge me for one! Therefore you cannot take any monies for Oct 5 - 25!

I am serious, this is fraud and not my wishes. If you charge my CC a full months money and with no intentions of a refund I will apply for a charge-back and seek legal recourse.

Eveyone take not of PN's "dirty tactics" !!!
N/A

Hi Burtietec

I'm in a similar situation.
I'm moving out of the UK - and have only stayed with plusnet for the lat few months because my relocation was imminent, and it could have been too much hassle to set up a new broadband contract for the short period.

I've certainly not stayed because of their service or reliability - because we all know it's been rubbish for a while. I've suffered from an unwanted 'max - llu' upgrade, and from lost emails, delayed emails and general connectivity / email failures.

Now we've got a house move date arranged - and so I've contacted plusnet to cancel on a specific date - 13th Sep - so that the new owners of our house can choose to use a real, reliable ISP, and we can go and find one where we are going.

Imagine my surprise when Plusnet responded that they'll cancel my sub on 18th OCTOBER - 5 weeks after the date I requested....

Any real company, that cared about its reputation, would respect the wishes of customers who want to leave - rather than gouging another months subs out of them....

So there you have it.
Plusnet - unreliable email, slow customer service, complete disaster of maxadsl / llu - but you can't even leave them !

How very poor....

Adrian
Community Veteran

I suggest you quote their own T&C,s back at them and insist on the 30 days notice and repayment of any overpayment after you have left.
The fact that you are cancelling as opposed to transferring is irrelevant.
I really thought that this was sorted out when it was first raised many months ago.
If a PlusNet rep is reading this can I suggest that this is sorted and the agents educated again.
This is the relevant clause
23. Ending this Agreement

23.1 This Agreement can be ended by:

23.1.1 us giving one month's notice to you; or

23.1.2 you giving one month's notice to us.
23.1.3 you giving us immediate notice within the 14 day notice period if, under clause 24, we inform you that we are increasing our charges or changing the conditions of this Agreement to your detriment.

23.2 If we give you notice, you must pay the Charges applicable up to the end of that notice. If you give us notice, you must pay us the Charges that would have been due within the notice period.

23.3 If you give us notice that ends, or we end this Agreement under clause 20, during the period of the Agreement, you must pay us the relevant cancellation Charges set out in your Agreement.

23.4 If you give us notice that falls before the end of your current Agreement period because we have increased our Charges or materially changed the Conditions of this Agreement to your detriment, you may cancel in the period of time between the notice of the changes and the time the changes take place.
23.5 If you have paid any Charges for a period after the end of the Agreement we will either repay it or put it towards any money you owe us
You will note that it refers to Ending the Agreement - not transferring or ceasing but Ending the Agreement. I have shown the relevant clauses in bold for clarity
N/A

Thanks for the advice, I've taken a copy of the Ts and Cs (it wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly got changed).

PN have finally agreed to an Oct 5 cease date but I await confirmation that any monies taken for services in excess of Oct 5 will be refunded.

I'll keep you posted..
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The T's & C's won't be changing, you'd receive notification if they were changed. The other relevant part to highlight is.

If you give us notice, you must pay us the Charges that would have been due within the notice period.

i.e. as I said any charges that due in the notice period are taken in full, which is why the cancellation date is set at the end of the paid period.
N/A

Well thanks Dave but I've now had confirmation that I'd have to raise a ticket for a refund of October 5 - 25.

I'm quite happy to take this to my Credit Card company for a charge-back and seek legal recourse.

I have to admit though, I'd never recommend PN anymore.
N/A

The T's & C's won't be changing, you'd receive notification if they were changed. The other relevant part to highlight is.

If you give us notice, you must pay us the Charges that would have been due within the notice period.

i.e. as I said any charges that due in the notice period are taken in full, which is why the cancellation date is set at the end of the paid period.

While i have no idea whether it's legal or not, it would seem to be unfair, as it means PN are charging for a period for which they are not providing a service. Unless of course you ask to close your account on the day the payment is taken. I have never seen such a clause with any other company, and it does reflect rather badly on PN.
Community Veteran

This is not relevant.
Look at clause 23.5 which covers this point.
There is absolutely no justification for PlusNet unilaterally changing the customers requested cease date to avoid the necessity for putting through a repayment for a period after the termination of the agreement