cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my Torrents download faster during peak hours?

N/A

I am a broadband Premier customer (2MB).

I have been doing a bit of downloading with Azureus over the last few days and have been getting on the whole - lousy speeds. However today I noticed that at exactly 4pm Azuraues warned me that my connection dropped. This drop only lasted a couple of seconds then when it came back up my download speeds had increased twofold despite there being the same number of seeds and peers as there were before the drop. Before 4pm I was getting an avg. of about 15Kbs and after 4pm I am getting 37Kbs on avg..

So I decided to do a little experiment. I went to the portal and used the surf tool turn off my ability to use p2p. I rebooted my router and lo and behold my download speeds on Azureus dropped to the levels I have been getting during OFF PEAK hours. I then turned my ability to use p2p back on and my speeds increased again.

I have just learned of the trafic shaping that is supposed to be applied to p2p apps during peak hours and was going to shedule my downloads to occur during off peak hours in order to try to be a more responsible user.

However - if I am getting better speeds with traffic shaping applied (during peak hours) - what am I to do? I would have expected the situation to be reversed - poor speeds during peak hours 4pm-Midnight and better speeds outside these hours.

Could it be that my account has been clasified as Boadband Plus and not Broadband Premier? Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening?

Cheers
Ven
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Ven,

I've checked your account out for you and there's nothing odd showing, all the profiling shows correct for 2Mb Premier.

Have you just seen this today or does it happen every day? If just today then it's possible that the connection dropped and you connected onto a slight less congested pipe, or maybe there's been a problem at your local exchange which was fixed around 4pm.

If it's every day then I'm not so sure as to where to suggest the cause may be, be worth keeping an eye on it and see when it slows down again.
N/A

Thanks for checking this for me

Thanks for having a look and checking that my account is set up right.

Downloading using azureus has been slow for a few days now. It was only today that I noticed the increase of speed at 4pm, so I thought this must have coincided with f9 starting the throttle.

After your investigations, it looks like maybe this was just a coincidence. I will keep an eye on things to see how they go.

Thanks again

Ven
N/A

might just be that more sources come online around that time?? after all if it is peak then more users will be on... but you would have thought there would be more leechers also Smiley

Just an idea!!
N/A

yer, I have the same experiences.

Seems like a lot of the seeders are in the usa around the peak times of the day

Only thing which irritates me is that when torrents are running on the machine, everything else gets hoarded with traffic and eveyrthing disconnects.
N/A

to be honest I dont use bittorrent much so I dont know all the ins and outs, but with the networks I do use I find that things start to disconnect etc as you say when I have set the max connection limit or the max upload speed too high.

I find that 20kb/s upload max and 100 open connections max doesnt seem to hinder other net use too much whilst stil being able to get plenty of sources, but low latency applications wont really work very well with it running at all. This seemed to work well for me on both 0.5mbit and now 2mbit. Maxing out your upload bandwidth just messes everything up - cant even browse reliably.

You have probably already tried all that but hope it helps anyway.

Jarv
N/A

I find that 20kb/s upload max and 100 open connections max doesnt seem to hinder other net use too much whilst stil being able to get plenty of sources, but low latency applications wont really work very well with it running at all.

yeah I find it really kills Skype
N/A

Think problem might be my exchange

Thanks for all replies.

Regarding more sources coming online at 4pm - no that wasn't the case - the number of seeders and downloaders remained the same.

I checked the VPN status of my local telephone exchange and found it to be at amber - so thats a possible source of slow downloads.

Yesterday I did a lot of reading - in particular the Azureus Wiki Faq file. It was very illuminating and gives GREAT info on how to set up Azureus correctly to achieve the best download speeds for your particular adsl connection. It also talks about what makes a good torrent. I learned loads that I did not understand before and would recommend it to anyone who like me was - perhaps still is - a newbie to this form of p2p.

Anyway - after re-setting everything up I re-started Azureus and I for most of last night (after midnight) I was getting lovely fast speeds - faster than I have ever experienced before - avg 80-100Kbs! Cheesy This with the same torrent that was so slow before.

Unfortunately - when I restarted the download after midnight tonight - it's slowed down again. Sad

So I guess the matter is out of my control and that it's the current capacity/speed problems at my exchange that is throttling things.

Ven
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

There is a more obvious explaination as to why your speeds increase after 4pm.

P2P traffic falls into a low priority queue on the whole, so when the network is busy it is the high-bandwidth, less latency dependent applications that will see marginal slowdowns first.

We have however recently implemented our sustainable usage policy that has resulted in a small number of very high-usage customers being placed on a managed profile between the hours of 1600 - 0000.

This results in a drop in overall P2P traffic at 4pm that may be the cause of the symptoms you are reporting.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵