cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I feel that I am banging my head against a wall?

Fixes: 116

From the thread 'Speeds are absolutely shocking' http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52349&start=15

For many months I have been asking why my USENET becomes unusable (time-outs) from 1600 to midnight once I have reached Level 1 Management.

I have opened a ticket (ID: 20998517) regarding this and stated that I understand that speeds are 'Upto'256Kbps and 128Kbps respectively for Level 1 & Level 2. But my USENET is practically non-existent during peak hours.

It now appears that the only reply from different CS poeple just states that the speeds are only 'Upto'.

So, could someone at PN please confim that does 'Upto' in this instance mean 'Unusable' and, if not, please look into why it is for me.

Also, I have consistently asked why USENET beomes unusable exactly at 16:00 even though speed restrictions often do not come into effect till 1645 or later. Why this difference? No explaination has yet been offered.

Any help on this appreciated.

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

22 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Ticket passed to networks with notes attached.

Thanks James.

I do hope I get more than the bog-standard quotes this time.

Cheers.

Edit:

Just looked at your notes added to my ticket.

Not sure where you get the 10Kbps from? As I have said before I normally get time-outs and that is just attempting to deliver the headers.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

James
Grafter

I took that from your reference to 1 KB/s.

I took that from your reference to 1 KB/s.

Sorry James - I must be having a bit of blind spot as I can't see where I wrote that.

Would you mind showing where I wrote that in case I mistyped or miss-informed CS.

Thanks

James
Grafter

Nope, it looks like it's me making up numbers Smiley

What Usenet speeds are you seeing during peak times?

Basically...

Zilch!

Sometimes I get a few headers then a Time-out message but, usually, I just get a Time-out message.

If I select a message then that, too, usually produces a Time-out message.

Sometimes a message is fully delivered but even a 1KB message can take 10 or 20 minutes but even that doesn't happen very often.

As I have said before, what I find strange is that this begins bang on 16:00 well before actual speed restrictions take effect which can be, so far, upto 45 minutes later.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

N/A

That would be traffic shaping applied on top of traffic shaping. eg You get limited twice because you have used to much and because you are doing something with usenet.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of previous post - not needed for any reason! : link:rules

How do you work out that I have used too much?

I have an allowance of 30GB and, in total last month, used less than 28GB.

I was of the understanding that traffic shapping was not dependant on Level Management and that Level Management was defined to reduce the total amount you download by reducing speed.

But if I am worng...

Cheers

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of previous post - not needed for any reason! : link:rules

Zathras
Grafter

On prem 2 according to the traffic management page from 25 - 30GB line speed drops to 'Up to 128Kbps'

You have a 30gb limit but the mangement kicks in at 20+gb

All this I know.

I am unhappy about my USENET becoming unusable from 20GB onwards and why USENET unusability kicks in bang on 16:00 whereas actual speed restrictions often don't begin till around 16:45.

None of this used to happen untyil about a month after I was upgraded to MaxDSL around May last year.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules

Grimbo
Grafter

I am normally quite good anout scheduling my P2P and Usenet - but this month I have been naughty and exceeded 13Gb towards the end of my billing month.

As per the original poster, I have noticed that not only is Usenet effectively disabled - but also acess to www.giganews.com is disabled between 4 and midnight.

On a different thread, I was told that once you hit your 13gb, Usenet and P2P are given a low priority. This seems to have the effect of disabling them completely!

What is the point of reducing my P2P and Usenet bandwidth AND disabling them?

Surely the sensible approach would be to throttle my speeds between 13-17Gb, throttle them further between 17 and 20 and disable them after 20Gb!

Does anyone know if this is just Giganews - or are other Usenet providers affected? If it is only Giganews, then this is not fair to me or even Giganews themsleves.

Hi Grimbo.

Seems we're both sharing the same problems and I have added a message to your thread: Giganews

I have yet still to get a definitive answer from PN on this.

N/A

I reached level one for the first time last month, and as soon as it hit peak time I was unable to connect to my news server provider at all.

I kept getting connection timeouts all the time.

Like the original poster I assumed that I'd be able to download from usenet but at much slower speeds, however I couldn't even connect let alone download anything.

I thought I was alone in this- sorry to hear you are having similar problems.

Do you notice, too, that this happens exactly at 16:00 (give or take a minute) even though actually speed restictions haven't been effected yet and disappers at midnight yet speed restrictions haven't been lifed?