cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cgi/php and not asp or .net

N/A

Why is the webspace only usable for php and cgi. I program within asp and asp.net for my own use as well as for company intranet systems it would be ideal if asp was avialable on the web space.

Am i the only one that thinks this would be ideal
10 REPLIES
N/A

I'd like that too.
When I read your post, I thought that'd be good, but surely you can't get ASP.NET under Linux? Then a quick search showed that not only is it possible but it's easy too!
Smiley
Tim
Julie
Grafter

Hi there,

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong ...so someone please do so Smiley
But as I understand it asp requires a windows based server and plusnet I am sure run Linux based servers
N/A

You are right jules. Plus Net servers do run under linux.

However it is now possible to run asp.net under linux and as tim said, fairly easily with some performance benifits and alledgedly better security. Wink

Whether Plus Net go for this at some point in the future is a different matter.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

This has been suggested a number of times in the past. I will try and obtain an update next week, as some of these ideas were raised internally and accepted.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

However it is now possible to run asp.net under linux and as tim said, fairly easily with some performance benifits and alledgedly better security. Wink

OK, this is true however ASP is very CPU intensive being solely a server side protocol. Most of our solutions revolve around open source platforms as well of which .asp isn't. I'm not sure if there are open source alternatives for .asp but even if there are it is unlikely they would have the full functionality of the MS equivalent.

Like many things, the final decision is a toss up between demand and the overheads required to run such a service.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Fair comment Bob,

Whilst not in any way my field and it wont be long till I am out of my depth i do understand the limitations re functionality with this one.

If it became available I know of two of our clients with +net accounts who would jump at the opportunity but I do realise the difficulties involved for your developers etc.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable on these things might guide us.....where's Colin when you need him Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

where's Colin when you need him

Up North. I'm sure there is a thread in the Ideas forum about ASP, somewhere where this was discussed previously, I'll find it if I get the chance.

I know when I used Easily, they supported ASP on a linux server, using something like Chillisoft ASP, which I think is actually a commercial product.
N/A

You're right Colin, there was. though I think it finished once it was established that asp and linux wasnt going to happen anytime soon.

Whether it is viable or possible now remains to be seen.

you're right about Chillisoft, though I seem to remember some issues that arose with that.
N/A

The Chillisoft ASP product is now owned and sold by Sun Microsystems.

There is however the option for Apache::ASP, which uses mod_perl for operation IIRC.

I don't think it presents as much ASP native susport, but there is more than enough.
N/A

TBH given everything you can do with ASP on *nix box can be done with less overheads using native *nix apps such as perl and php then I'd say leave ASP out of the equation.

ASP only really makes sense used on an IIS box as alot of the *real* power and selling points of ASP (.Net integration, access to MS Apps on the server) rely on MS operating systems...

And while I've looked in previous jobs at ASP on *nix I've never been convienced it is a good way to go...