cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't DNS set-up be done ahead of importing a domain?

N/A

Hi,

I was surprised to hear that plus.net refuse to set up DNS for a domain that is being imported before you change the WHOIS records to point to them.

The reason for this being strange is obvious: It guarantees downtime.

All I could find in the FAQs was "for security reasons" but I don't buy that I'm afraid! Can someone from network ops comment please?

Also, what is the timescale for setting up the DNS once the WHOIS is showing as updated, and the ticket being raised? I'm seeing quite slow responses on my tickets regarding this....
8 REPLIES
N/A

Can I ask why you don't buy the "security reasons"?

The way in which domains work on the PlusNet platform, means that once a domain is setup, the PlusNet customer base will use the local zone information.

So if a domain still points at different NS server, then you get one set of responces from the PlusNet DNS servers, and another from the authoritive servers.

Although very very highly unlikely, you could in effect do somthing like ask to have microsoft.com hosted on your account.

These changes are done, such that it authorises your intent.
N/A

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Smiley
jberry
Grafter

Also, what is the timescale for setting up the DNS once the WHOIS is showing as updated, and the ticket being raised? I'm seeing quite slow responses on my tickets regarding this....

New Zonefiles are added into the system overnight (4am or so), changes to existing zonefiles take a couple of hours. So, ideally, to minimise downtime you want us to transfer the domain late in the day (we are 24 hour). If you want to hurry along a request like this, raise a ticket and then give us a call, the agent will action the ticket there are then for you if you explain why you need it doing quickly.

Regards,
N/A

Ticket is indeed raised - 11798887.

And it has all the information required in it. Smiley
oliverb
Grafter

Would the following work as a workaround?

1: Add plusnet nameservers under the existing nameservers so they are listed but not used. I recall Network solutions used to allow extra DNS servers, minimum two, I presume this still applies.

2: Inform plusnet and request transfer in.

3: Wait...

4: Configure new website

5: Wait...

6: Create a Hosts file override on your computer so browsing your site sends requests to plusnet's server, use this to test your site at plusnet. Remember to delete the override afterwards.

7: Delete the old DNS servers from your domain

8: Wait...

9: Cancel your old account
Ianwild
Grafter

Yeah, I don't see why that would be a problem at all - As long as you were prepared for us to take local authority for the domain and you can get the nameserver stuff sorted with your current host...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

I was also wondering whether plus.net would act as a slave for DNS requirements - e.g. pull the configuration from another DNS server (which would be listed in the WHOIS as the Primary, obvious) ?
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

Unfortunately we do not offer this service. We are looking to revamp our DNS and this could well be introduced. However the network team have advised that this will not be happening too soon.

regards

Luke