cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are uploads counted in the usage measurements ?

N/A

I don't visit these forums, so I'm not sure if Plusnet have answered this question before. I have had a quick search through and can't see a post dealing directly with this issue. Appologies if this has been covered in detail before.

Pretty much all of the ADSL lines connected to Plusnet have far more downstream bandwidth than upstream.

The usage graphs show that for all products uploads are lower that downloads.

As I understand it, the traffic on BT Central links is priced in a way that it doesn't cost any extra to have you upstream usage match your downstream usage. So even if the current level of uploads rose to match the downloads it won't cost Plusnet anything extra.

Internet connectivity is typically also priced this way, so uploads onto the Internet at large should effectively be free as long as they don't exceed downloads.

Some other ISPs that agressively price peak time downloads have completely unlimited uploads (AAISP for example).

So why are upload figures included in the usage measurements ?

I of course wish they weren't because 50% of my usage is uploads and if only downloads were measured I would have to worry less about exceeding the usage limits.
5 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As Dave posted in usenet yesterday:

The reason for including upload bandwidth is because the design of a 622 central pipe gives you a downstream maximum of 622Mbps and upstream of 311Mbps (i.e. half the download). However, if the amount of uploads increases it starts to eat into your download bandwidth so the balance could become 600Mbps down and 333Mbps up for example. Counting uploads gives better management over the upload volumes and thus the overall usage on the pipes.
N/A

Ah, ok. Didn't know that bit of detail.

Are 622 pipes different to 155 pipes in this regard ? If so that would explain why AAISP don't have to worry about uploads.

Which group was that posted in ?
N/A

Upload speed shouldnt be counted. with the new management in place.

FUP - was removed because plusnet didnt no how to show the amount you uploaded. if i remember you's rolled it out and then took it back with in a short a mount of time.

so why have we now been screwed over on this new system. that includes upload/downloads all as one ?!?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

That was posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback in the thread "Is plusnet using Capacity Based Charging on their BT centrals?".
avalon
Grafter

As Dave posted in usenet yesterday:

The reason for including upload bandwidth is because the design of a 622 central pipe gives you a downstream maximum of 622Mbps and upstream of 311Mbps (i.e. half the download). However, if the amount of uploads increases it starts to eat into your download bandwidth so the balance could become 600Mbps down and 333Mbps up for example. Counting uploads gives better management over the upload volumes and thus the overall usage on the pipes.

Upload speed shouldnt be counted. with the new management in place.
<snip>
so why have we now been screwed over on this new system. that includes upload/downloads all as one ?!?

Because as Ben quoted above excessive uploading reduces download bandwidth on the 622 so it has the same effect as using download bandwidth because that bandwidth used for uploading is no longer available for others downloading. So that's why it's counted.