cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Premier customers being moved to 50:1 contention?

N/A

I was disgusted to get an automated e-mail on 7th July which told me that I will have to pay an extra 10 pounds a month if I want to remain on 20:1 contention... (for a start I thought premier accounts would be moved to 30:1). According to that email I've supposedly now been regraded to 50:1

What makes this worse is that I'm currently paying 40 pounds a month for the 2mb premier account when most people are only paying half that for 2mb! I decided to continue paying the higher rate becuase it was "supposedly" promised that it would give preferential treatment for 8mb upgrades when they are available. (not sure I trust this).

But my point is, why should I have to pay an extra 10 a month (making it 50 quid) for 20:1 when I'm already paying f9 double the cost of what my product is worth!!
21 REPLIES
N/A

Force9 Premier service & 8MB? Ivan

Hello glasstower,

I read your posting and frankly I dont understand the product your currently on, is this an older product thats been retired (nolonger available? I wonder). I'm on a Force9 Premier 2MB service and as far as I am aware the premier 2MB service is contended at 30:1 (in fact I was told it had been moved from a 50:1 to a 30:1 ratio so would be a more effienct service i.e. faster).

Frankly, I cannot understand why you are paying nearly £50 for a 2MB service at a 20:1 contention ration (unless you either asked specifiaclly for this or it was some special offer I never heard about??).

As for paying for an 8MB service LOL Shockedops: (Basically its just NOT possible at the moment, you shouldnt have been told otherwise, nor should you be paying for this?!!). Yes! 8MB's MAY & I stress again MAY become a reality when BT's trial is completed around the end of September this year but the 8MB product for ordinary domestic users probably wont be available until well into spring 2006, my guess is that we will be looking at April or May 06.

**I would immediately change products & down grade /regrade to the ordinary F9 premier service at 2MB's 30:1 and paying just £21.99 (saving yourself a massive £28.01 each month), OK if you do this then when the 8MB product does arrive next year you might have to pay a small one off upgrade fee of £14.99 but given how much you will save in the mean time I dont think there is much of a contest really IMO.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Assuming the whole user base has an average connection speed of 1mbit, the current platform, supporting 113,084 users in July, is on a contention ratio of just about 50:1. If the average connection is higher than this then obviously the contention will be higher.

Math: 2480MBits platform / 113084 users * 1mbit each = 0.0219 or 1:46

I for one am not impressed at the acclaimed "30:1 network contention"... and business users I would expect to be more annoyed, especially when PN are 'better managing the bandwidth they already have' rather than buying more bandiwdth !!!! I agree with trying to clobber people taking the **** with bandwidth usage, but they arent even providing what they are advertising!

Also I have heard that there arent actually enough slots for everyone to connect to their always-on connection, this true? (4 ACTIVE pipes, max 26400 users each I think?)

20:1 contention gets you 20:1 at the exchange doesnt it? Still 50:1 for home products??

Jarv
N/A

Re: Force9 Premier service & 8MB? Ivan

I read your posting and frankly I dont understand the product your currently on, is this an older product thats been retired (nolonger available? I wonder). I'm on a Force9 Premier 2MB service and as far as I am aware the premier 2MB service is contended at 30:1 (in fact I was told it had been moved from a 50:1 to a 30:1 ratio so would be a more effienct service i.e. faster).

I got the product almost 12 months ago. I think F9 told us that although the product we signed up for was advertised as 50:1, we were actually getting a 20:1 service (not sure if this was just for 2mb customers). The email I got said that if I wanted to continue to enjoy 20:1 I'd have to pay an extra tenner, otherwise I'd become 50:1 as originally advertised. So firstly I'm confused why I'm not getting 30:1 as is now being advertised, and secondly it's a bit cheeky when I'm already paying double the going rate for 2mb.

As for paying for an 8MB service LOL Shockedops: (Basically its just NOT possible at the moment, you shouldnt have been told otherwise, nor should you be paying for this?!!). Yes! 8MB's MAY & I stress again MAY become a reality when BT's trial is completed around the end of September this year but the 8MB product for ordinary domestic users probably wont be available until well into spring 2006, my guess is that we will be looking at April or May 06.

I just looked up my exchange and it says it's due for upgrade in August 2005, so it's almost there.... but you seem to suggest that it could still be considerable time before it would be enabled for ordinary users? I'm kind of hoping that if they needed testers on my exchange that I might be selected for the trial since I'm already paying for it.

The main reason I want 8mb is the increased upload bandwidth, I login to my home machine from work with a remote desktop and the extra upload speed would really help with this, and SDSL is simply too expensive for personal use.

**I would immediately change products & down grade /regrade to the ordinary F9 premier service at 2MB's 30:1 and paying just £21.99 (saving yourself a massive £28.01 each month), OK if you do this then when the 8MB product does arrive next year you might have to pay a small one off upgrade fee of £14.99 but given how much you will save in the mean time I dont think there is much of a contest really IMO.

I'll need to try and find out a bit more about my exchange... if it looks like it could be another 6 months then what you suggest is indeed a good idea. the 14.99 re-upgrade is insignificant compared to the savings.
N/A

Here is a copy of the email from customer service that I was talking about:
----------------------------------

Changes to your broadband account
---------------------------------

You may remember that we contacted you in February regarding your Force9 2Mb broadband account.

Your broadband service is currently based on a BT contention ratio of 20:1. This is because a 50:1 version of the 2Mb product did not exist when you signed up.

We have always stated that customers provisioned on 20:1 2Mb broadband would eventually be moved to a regular 50:1 product.

You now have the option to remain on a 20:1 contention.

What are the benefits of staying on 20:1?
-----------------------------------------

- Enhanced performance - very little speed loss at peak times
- Increased upload speeds of up to 800k with the arrival of 4Mb & 8Mb broadband

What do I need to do?
---------------------

If you would like to continue enjoying the benefits of 20:1 you must tell us within 14 days by raising a ticket in the Contact Us wizard:

- Go to http://portal.f9.net.uk/my.html?action=tickets
- Click 'New Query'
- Click 'Account Changes - Upgrade, Downgrade, Cancellations & Moving House'
- Click '20:1 to 50:1 migrations'
- Raise a ticket. DO NOT raise a ticket if you are happy to be moved to a 50:1 contention

Remaining on 20:1 will cost £10 (inc. VAT) extra on your monthly broadband subscription.

If you are happy to be moved to a standard contention of 50:1, simply do nothing and we will automatically begin moving you in 14 days.

Please note, if you don't instruct us to keep you on a 20:1 contention, you will be automatically moved to 50:1.

What will happen to my service if I don't stay on 20:1?
-------------------------------------------------------

There will be little difference to your current broadband service most of the time. You will continue to enjoy the same speed and features at the same great price. Only the BT contention at your local telephone exchange will change, which may mean a reduction in speed at peak times.

What is contention?
-------------------

If you want to know more about contention, take a look at our beginner's guide - http://www.f9.net.uk/support/features/contention_guide.shtml

Kind regards,

Customer Support
N/A

Assuming the whole user base has an average connection speed of 1mbit, the current platform, supporting 113,084 users in July, is on a contention ratio of just about 50:1. If the average connection is higher than this then obviously the contention will be higher.
is that just f9? is the bandwidth not shared with plus.net? I was under the impression we all shared the same servers and same bandwith.... but you are suggesting that bandwith for plus.net is managed seperately?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There are two different contention ratios involved here, PlusNet/F9 network and BT network contention ratios. The PlusNet/F9 ratio is 30:1 for all Premier customers across both sets of customers (and Free-Online too).

The BT side contention for some 2Mbps Premier customers is 20:1 because we made 2Mbps Premier available before BT Wholesale introduced a 50:1 2Mbps service.

glasstower - if you wish you can always downgrade to £21.99 per month for free (at a later date should you wish to change to 4 or 8Mbps there's be a regrade fee of £14.99). We'll also be contacting again shortly regarding the contention change.
N/A

Contention Ratios Ivan

Hi Dave,

I think now you can see why some customers might be utterly confused when the term "contention" is used. I was completely confused myself !! as I had thought contention was configured only by BT at exchange level I wasnt aware that F9,PN,FOL also had contention on its own network. Atleast this clarifies it too some degree.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

is that just f9? is the bandwidth not shared with plus.net? I was under the impression we all shared the same servers and same bandwith.... but you are suggesting that bandwith for plus.net is managed seperately?

Yeah the PlusNet company has the platform and sell services under the names plusnet, free-online and f9, so its all on the same ADSL platform. The number is users is the total for PlusNet Plc. as a whole which I got from adslguide.org which I think got it from the register!

[edit]
d'oh dave already answered this one.

Still, didnt explain why the advertised contentions per paying customer are clearly not what is being provided.
[/edit]
N/A

Still, didnt explain why the advertised contentions per paying customer are clearly not what is being provided.

and they never will .. cause it aint legal .. but I bet they'll always make some bull .. or perhaps blame a few of their own customers for using all the bandwidth .. ok .. so the customers may be sods for hammering the BW, but they did pay for an unlimited service afterall, right ?? Any user that uses bandwith a lot, even as much as 24 hours a day, cannot really affect the speed or usage of any other user, unless the ISP in question has over subscibed their lines.

btw .. that is a quoted answer from an Oftel official I emailed ..

. A person could download just 5 minutes in a day, at the same time as all other 50 people on their 50:1 line, but for only that 5 minutes. Does that mean that for those 5 minutes, everyone will be downloading slower than their alloted line speed? No, it does not. Those 50 people will download at exactly the same speed, regardless of what the other 50 people are doing at the same time. It is only if more people than are recommended, are on the line. ie./ 58 ppl, etc ...

that is a simple fact .. no two ways about it .. ,makes one wonder doesn't it .. :roll:
N/A

. A person could download just 5 minutes in a day, at the same time as all other 50 people on their 50:1 line, but for only that 5 minutes. Does that mean that for those 5 minutes, everyone will be downloading slower than their alloted line speed? No, it does not. Those 50 people will download at exactly the same speed, regardless of what the other 50 people are doing at the same time. It is only if more people than are recommended, are on the line. ie./ 58 ppl, etc ...

that is a simple fact .. no two ways about it .. ,makes one wonder doesn't it .. :roll:

I'm not sure about that... I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that (using your example) for that 5 mins, everyone will only get 1/50th of their total bandwidth - so if you regularly get 220Kb/s on your 2mb line then you will only get 4.4Kb/s for that 5 mins (slower than a 56k analogue modem).

The reason you don't often see it failing as massively as that is because you "as an individual" are not actually sharing your line with 50 other specific people.... it's only a ratio, so its more like 1000 people sharing with 50,000 people (no idea what the figures actually are... but you get my point right?) It would be a chance in a million that all 50,000 people were downloading full throttle during the same 5 mins in question.

That's the way I've understood it anyway, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong/
N/A

Well, yes. to a point. The contention is handled at a number of points so (depending on your exchange) you might be contending with only a few people in BT's domain and with quite a few more in F9's. Again it depends quite what the overall usage is from moment to moment.

In practice unless you're unlucky, in my experience you never see the contention limits kick in.
N/A

what are contention ratios exactly?

whats diff between 20:1 and 50:1 , im confused :shock:

please explain, also how does this affect performance?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The two different contention ratios 50:1 and 20:1 represent different BT Wholesale products - BT IPStream Home and IPStream Office.

The main difference is that the bandwidth at the exchange is shared between less people on the 20:1 Office product.
N/A

so does that make it faster?