cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Plusnet reluctant to investigate connection problems

N/A

I don't know if any of you more technical users can advise me about the Plusnet Tech Support protocols?
I've been suffering with what I describe a service fade to drop-out. i.e. on mu 1MB service it often starts at about 930kbps then gradually or quickly fades to maybe 300/ 200 and then drops the connection. This started around the time of the BT wholesale message problem & I am now set up to connect to 2 specific DNS servers.
I have some good periods and some periods where I cannot even obtain a connection
. Naturally the first response is about extentions, filters & modem. - I removed the only extention I have but I don't have a spare modem (Although I shall by a new filter this w/end - to eliminate this).
I ran the bt test login for an hour (after several drop-outs) which apparently resets the connection - no change.
I then ran 3 BT speed tests - as requested giving 196, 84, 930 .
Support come back to me to say they were sorry but should have told me to run the BT speed tests between midnight & 7am?
Why is this - are they just having a laugh?
Any advice would be welcome.
Regards
Tim
4 REPLIES
N/A

Support come back to me to say they were sorry but should have told me to run the BT speed tests between midnight & 7am?

It is to do with whether the problems lies with BT or +net and generally speaking ADSL speeds are faster during off-peak (00.00 - 07.00)
Community Veteran

12am - > 7am is normally a quiter time on the BT network which would then eliminate things like local exchange contention on your line or network capacilty issues within BT.

You are normally asked to run the BT speed test several times during the busy and non-busy periods to see what affect they have so this is normal investigation policy (requested by BT not PN) before any faults can be raised.

The other thing is you have to eliminate any local causes within the house and house wiring as well as your equipment as they are all out of both BTs and PNs control.

what ADSL equipment so you have?

Does your ADSL equipment show line attenuation and SNR figures? If so, post them here and also monitor them to see if it degrades (line atten goes higher, SNR goes lower) when your speeds change and especially just before your line drops out.

Have you tried connection your ADSL equipment without a filter fitted? Normally you can use the phone cable from a dialup 56K modem for this or buy a rj45 -> BT plug adapter

Have you tried connecting the the BT Test socket which can be found behind the user removable lower part of the BT master socket?

Connection problems, especially when there is no hard failure (no sync etc) are notoriously difficult to diagnose because there can be so many different causes, many of which are out of PNs and BT's control so it can be a long process of elimination, most done by you, before BT will accept a fault to investigate. This is because the vast majority of faults have been found to be cause by customer equipment & wiring.
N/A

Running the tests during those times should provide a reasonable indication of whether the problem is down to contention at the BT exchange or some other problem with BT's wiring or equipment..

If down to contention, you would expect to see an improvement during the early hours as less people are likely to be on line.

If I remember correctly, someone recently created a tool to run the test without you having to stay up half the night. If I find it, I'll post a link.
N/A

I would agree, despite paying what I consider to be in comparison a high price, I too find my connections very erratic and often impossible. It was my understanding that if I wasn't a particularly high user, under the revised options I would get a better deal. The only thing that is certain is my direct debit is always taken on time :?