cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PN tolerate illegal activities?

N/A

Does PN have any legal obligation to know and monitor what their service is used for? Are they not suppose to stop their service being used for illegal activities?
If they did then they will cut their bandwidth usage probably by over 90%. In a recent news article it said that over 30% of all world's internet badwidth was attributed to just a single P2P program called BitTorrent. And everyone knows that 99% of all things offered through bittorrent is illegal. To this 30% add other P2P programs, FTP PUBS, newsgroups, IRC and so on. Shouldn't ISP do more to prevent illegal downloads? Why does PN offer Usenet with all these groups which have 100% illegal content.It's just as simple as deleting those groups. Looks like it's just to attract new customers. Who else goes for 2mb connection if not the people who will use it for illegal activities.

If everyone was to use their connection for legal activities then each user would use up just a few GB a month. Why don't ISPs activily prohibit this is that they will loose most of their users. How many people have never downloaded something of the internet illegally? I'm not saying that I would like to see this happen but this is a way of reducing bandwidth use.

Looks like even Bill Gates is not an angel

PC Welt, the German computer magazine, claims that Microsoft has shipped its popular Windows Media Player with sound files that are edited with an illegal copy of SoundForge, a commercially available Sony program for manipulating audio.

In one of the WAV files PC Welt discovered a reference to SoundForge 4.5 and a user called 'Deepz0ne', who happens to be one of the founders of an audio software cracking group called Radium.
11 REPLIES
N/A

simple.. they would go bust, so would transit providers etc as there would be no demand at all.
N/A

If everyone was to use their connection for legal activities then each user would use up just a few GB a month.

Not true. I use a large amount of bandwitdth for legal purposes, I often work from home, and have a VPN with work - its not uncommon to transfer multiple gigs a day using this (using pretty heavy Illustrator and Quark Xpress files - 25+MB a pop, so opening, saving, etc. transfers 25MB)..

I guess you havent discovered PNs BBC broadband player, or any other form of streamed media.

In my opinion theres not much point in having a fast connection if you are only going to use 1 or 2 GB per month!
LiamM
Grafter

You're contradicting yourself a little bit. If you say 90% of bandwidth is illegal, then that to me indicated a pretty strong demand. Therefore, cutting this out is certainly going to cut business by around the same amount.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We aren't here to judge what people use their connections for and whether what they are doing is legal or not.
Neither do we monitor what you are downloading. We can see in overall terms what protocols are being used, e.g. how much web traffic, or how much is downloaded from Usenet in total.
Can we and other ISP's do anything to stop illegal downloads? Each of the things you mention ftp, irc, usenet all have legimate uses. By all means feel free to raise an idea in the Ideas forum if you have suggestions regarding this.
serenityvalley
Grafter

Re: Why PN tolerate illegal activities?

Why does PN offer Usenet with all these groups which have 100% illegal content.It's just as simple as deleting those groups.

I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion that maybe it's better for PlusNet, if users do download from usenet, rather than P2P - at least then they aren't further using bandwidth by "sharing".
N/A

Uploading is actualy a cost irrelivant point.

Due to the Asymectric nature of ADSL, uploads are always going to be at a lower peak than downloads.

As for deleting groups off USENET, this is a good people, but frought wth legal issues. By deleting groups, they would in effect be censoring the service. This is turn raises questions of why censor group X but not group Y.

By not removing them, they are not consoring them.
N/A

Can we and other ISP's do anything to stop illegal downloads? Each of the things you mention ftp, irc, usenet all have legimate uses. By all means feel free to raise an idea in the Ideas forum if you have suggestions regarding this.

Don't make me laugh. No ISP should ever try and do anything to stop illegal downloads. Why? Because once you start deciding whats legal and whats illegal you start running down such a slippery slope of content responsibility that you can never return from. ISP's turn a blind eye to what goes over their networks for a good reason.
N/A

I'm very glad that PlusNet, and ISP's in general don't try to ban or censor the data transferred to this extent Smiley. It would take a fair amount of time, money and processor power to sift through everything. Then what is considered illegal or not is a very grey area and will depend on your perspective, the amount, your location etc. It's just too complex - an ISP would need a massive department to handle it all.

What if something legitimate is wrongly considered illegal by an ISP's detection system (however that would operate)?

It's bad enough to have a Nanny-state/Big Brother future looming without ISPs getting involved. ISPs are roped in when other parties notify them of users who are doing something illegal, but it's not an ISP's position to play detective, judge and jury.

ISP's should target Spammers and malware instead. And although in the minority, P2P/Bit Torrent does have it's legitimate uses too.
Graeme
Grafter

The legal side of things is the real problem. If you start censoring content, you become legally responsible for it. There is no technology which can catch 100% of illegal content, so some would get through, or too much would be blocked.

This leads to
- lawsuits from record companies / film studios because you allow dodgy mp3/dvds through.
- lawsuits from websites who can't get legitimate mp3s to customers.
- lawsuits from parents because a bad word or photo appeared in little Johny's email...
etc etc.

It should not be read that PlusNet condones the downloading of illegal content, just because we don't do anything about it.
N/A

The legality is also a problem as different countries have laws which don't necessarily match with others. How is Plusnet going to comply with maybe a couple of dozen different countries laws to a couple of hundred. Also will age censorship be your next aim? Something classed as legal for a 12 year old to watch here, is illegal in America, and maybe vice versa.

Gary J.
N/A

This hole bandwidth issue is what separates ISP's from one another.

What should the "unspoken" default limit be? proposing this on to users that signed up for an unlimited uncapped product which was advertised that way.

I can see it from both sides, but there has to be some sort of acknowledgement that 24/7 downloading is a choice, but is having problems in peaks times with other users, then there has to be a choice, give the users what they want, if they want a full bandwidth 24/7 product why not give it to them at a price a product that can be left on 24/7.

There is so many isps out there with broadband and only a few good ones like plusnet Smiley keep all customers, because the word spreads about plusnet that offer true 24/7 downloads.