cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't I switch Off Interleaving?

JJ
Grafter

PN have their faults but is there any other ISP out there where you can interface at this level of detail, usually get an understanding of the problem and see a positive attempt to resolve the problem.

JohnH
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First some background information ...

After a number of years with a broadband modem, I took advantage of the BBYW free modem offer and have installed a BT Voyager 210. For the past 10 days, (since I last rebooted the router), I have had a stable connection with no line drops or re-syncs. My router is syncing at 8096, I've never seen my SNR drop below 11db and my downstream attenuation is 18db.

As my connection seemed so stable and in an attempt to squeeze the last bit of performance out of my line, I put in a request to switch off interleaving. I was notified that this would be actioned last night so before I went to bed, I switched off my router. This morning, I rebooted the router and sure enough, Interleaving had been switched off. My line synced at 8128 with a SNR of over 12db. I then ran a BER (Bit Error Ratio) test which showed zero errors. Great I thought, but within 5 minutes, interleaving had been switched on again and my modem re-synced at 8096, SNR over 13db.

I understand that BT will switch on interleaving if a line is unstable but my line appears to be about as stable as you can get. It's not the end of the world but I'd really like to understand what's going on here (I'm the sort of person who likes to understand why things happen). Does anyone know exactly how BT determine whether a line needs to be interleaved or not?

Thanks in anticipation - Bob
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I'm looking into this for you now, and will be along shortly with an update.
Community Veteran

Cheers Mand - much appreciated.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not complaining, I'd just like to understand what's going on Cheesy .

Bob
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Looks like even though the order is complete the interleaving flag is still set to Auto.

I've added a response to your ticket, and passed it to the faults team to raise to BT for you.
Community Veteran

Thanks Mand

So does 'Auto' mean that some BT algorithm determines whether interleaving needs to be on or not? If so that brings me back to my original question - when my line appears to be so stable, why is interleaving being switched on?

I've added a response to your ticket, and passed it to the faults team to raise to BT for you.

Does that mean that my line will be permanently set with interleaving off? If I do then find that my connection is unstable, will I have to request to have interleaving switched back on?

Thanks - Bob

Edit - note that if there is a genuine reason why my line won't perform with interleaving off then I'd rather leave it on.
Mand
Grafter

In theory, it means interleaving will be applied when necessary.

Looking at your line stats I'd say it's not necessary, but the systems can be quite random at times. The tests I ran didn't show anything in particular that would be fixed by turning interleaving on so to be honest I cannot see why it was applied.

If your line does become unstable with interleaving set to off we can either turn it on permanently or set it back to auto (within 48 hours) so there shouldn't be too much of an impact for you. You will need to request this though, as setting the interleaving flag either on or off permanently removes the automatic configuration.
Community Veteran

Ok, I'll see how I get on once the BT fault has been actioned.

Thanks for your help - Bob
JJ
Grafter

This is not an isolated case. I raised a ticket to get Interleaving turned off. BT turned it off BUT next time I check its back on again!

JohnH
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Have you raised a ticket to get this resolved? If it's happening regularly we can feed that back to BT. In any case we need to fix it for you.
flyer99
Grafter

I had this issue last year and it was resolved after a couple of weeks. It was something to do with 2 different BT systems as quoted on one of my tickets.
The original thread is here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52042&highlight=
Mine has stayed off since the issue was resolved and I have had no problems with my line.
So hang in there Cheesy

Regards
Nick
JJ
Grafter

Mand,
I haven’t raised a ticket to get it resolved.

I must admit to just ‘sighing’ and saying something rude about PN when I saw it was back on.

When we raise a ticket to have interleaving turned off how do PN decide whether to just reset to ‘Auto’ or set to permanently off?

JohnH

Edit to correct silly mistake
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

In the BT system we have three settings, off, on and Auto. By default new orders are set to on and when someone requests it is switched off the normal ordering process sets it to auto by the system. If we place it manually then it will normally switch it to off.
JJ
Grafter

Thanks Dave,

Extract from my ticket 22077836

‘We have now placed a manual regrade for the interleaving to be switched off. This is due for completion on: 8/6/07

BT Reference: XXXXXX’

I thought a manual re-grade should set interleaving to ‘permanently on’ and as you said so do you.

The fact that both Boulby and I have seen it change from on to off, as expected, yet the next day its back on suggests its not being set to ‘permanently off’

I’ll raise a ticket this afternoon.

JohnH
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

We have escalated this to BT as an issue, and should have some feedback shortly.