cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Laser
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

I dunno what happened today, but I just got some small FTP files on BB+ package and they arrived near instantly! :shock: Cheesy

Please tell me this is deliberate and is here to stay in some form or other. I've been moaning about the poor speeds, so it's only fair I draw attention to the good too.
16 REPLIES
thunderbird30
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

I bet you haven't used much of your service this month so far!
Laser
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

No, I haven't, true. But I have, by definition, used more than I had yesterday or the day before, when the speed was pants.

I've only been wanting a small allowance, bacause the restriction was put in place to prevent large file transfer. High allowance just isn't going to happen on BB+.
Community Veteran

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Changes to improve (actually to be exact to correct a problem) FTP on BB+ were done yesterday / today, and there are more improvements to come which should improve things further.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Peter, I note that you are a PlusNet Usergroup Beta Testing co-ordinator.

May I ask whether this change which brought about the deplorable FTP speeds was a) Tested in a Test Environment before it was applied to the Production Environment. b) Was it specified to reduce FTP Speeds to 800 Bytes/ sec? c) What was the result of the Test?

Having strangled all BB+ users, why wasn't the change immediately backed out until an alternative solution was Specified, Approved, Coded, Tested in a Test Environment and then applied to the Production Environment?

If the above is alien to PlusNet's procedures and practices, could you let us know please. I am dependent on my ADSL Service and need to know that it is being managed properly.

R
Community Veteran

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Changes such as this cannot be tested in isolation by PUG due to them being integral with the way the ellocoya's are setup and also due to it being affected by the volume of data through them, and the fact that PUG does not have access to the test networks that PlusNet use.

The changes could not be backed out without returning the BB+ users to very low P2P & usenet speeds. The changes made recently were to help those types of protocols (and they also improved the speeds on premier as well).

The changes detailed in the vision for 2006 are still being implemented in stages and until all the changes have been made and everyone has passed their billing date, some issues such as this will arise and hopefully get fixed as they are noticed.

What we are doing is raising issues with PN as we see them and trying to get a resolution when the evidence clearly shows something is wrong - as Kitz indicated earlier.

PN did tell us that the FTP speed reductions were not intended to happen when they reconfigured the Ellacoyas and they are doing their best to resolve the remaining FTP issues for BB+ and other product users as quickly as possible.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Hi again Peter, I have replied to Kittz' post in my other thread and to avoid hi-jacking this one, will continue the discussion there. As I said in reply to Kittz, I will hivernate for a couple of days and see what the next set of changes brings.

R
N/A

Pricey

I suspect an Ellacoya that's not earning its keep in the Production Environment is an expensive luxury that no ISP could afford. It does make testing highly problematical...maybe a virtual system would work.

I agree with your second para though, dsouza. This is the correct protocol.

Moral: always have the fallback position prepared for use...if it can be activated that quickly.
N/A

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

To save making another thread ill revive this one.

Very nice work guys, BB+ user here and my line is almost always maxxing out at 235kbps on downloads now, used to only get about 200kbps, so whatever you guys have done, its worked Smiley
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Let me second that. I just downloaded my benchmark 15.7MB in 1min 10 secs at 230KB/ sec. And, that on a Saturday night at 7:00 pm.

Well done PlusNet for attending to this issue with the urgency it deserved. Keep listening to your customersand we'll have you back at the top of the polls soon.

Well Done!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

I have been fairly vocal on this subject but I am really pleased that PlusNet have listened and acted effectively.
Well done
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Pricey

I suspect an Ellacoya that's not earning its keep in the Production Environment is an expensive luxury that no ISP could afford. It does make testing highly problematical...maybe a virtual system would work.

Hi,

We actually have a an extra Ellacoya set up a test bed, it's connected to one of the ERX's and allows full testing of new code/profiles/etc. on the Ellacoyas outside of the live environment.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Dave, That is indeed comforting to know. I was beginning to wonder if you were doing your testing on the Production environment.

There is still no explanation of how the rogue profile gor applied to the Production environment but I expect you will get to the bottom of it.

R
N/A

Ellacoyas

Hello, Dave. (thinks, uh, oh: I've heard that somewhere...)

I'm impressed. You have much more interesting toys to play with than I do now (that's the second outing for :mrgreen: with envy)...

I guess the great problem then is that testing outside the production environment depends on the activities of any users, virtual or otherwise, loading the platform.

Until you throw it in the sharkpool you don't know if it'll survive, or mutate.
kitz
Rising Star

Whoa! Fast FTP on BB+!

Occasionally PUG members help with "outside" testing too.
I dont think Im breaking any NDA by saying that a few PUG volunteers tested the new Ellacoya rules on the test platform in August prior to it being released on the General Public.

As ske1fr quite rightly points out though.. unfortunately some things... and all eventualities cant always be created in a test envirnoment, and sometimes glitches only appear when in the "sharkpool" ermm I mean real world. Wink